Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bur Singh Johal

Article about: 'Proud' Derby Sikh soldier Bur Singh Johal dies, aged 98 | Derby Telegraph I thought the passing of this ex serviceman deserved a mention. RIP Bur Singh Johal!...

Default Bur Singh Johal

'Proud' Derby Sikh soldier Bur Singh Johal dies, aged 98 | Derby Telegraph

I thought the passing of this ex serviceman deserved a mention. RIP Bur Singh Johal!...

A "proud" former Sikh soldier who fought for the British Army in Burma, Malaya and Singapore – and took tea with Lord Mountbatten – has died, aged 98.

Bur Singh Johal's family said he was "charismatic and charming" – becoming heavily involved in Derby's Sikh community and supporting the county's Poppy Appeal efforts each year.

Originally from the Punjab, Mr Johal, of Goodale Street, Normanton, joined the British Army in 1933 and fought from 1939 to the end of the Second World War, first in Burma and then in Singapore and Malaya.

He went back to India in 1947 to tend his land in the Punjab and then becoming a driver for the Punjab Government.

Mr Johal's son, Charanjit Singh Johal, 59, said his father met Lord Mountbatten while in Burma.

He said: "He was very, very proud of being in the British Army and would often show people his medals.

"He had a cup of tea with Lord Mountbatten in Burma, who told my father he was very brave."

As an ex-serviceman, Mr Johal gained an employment voucher which enabled him to move to England with his family in 1964 and settle in Derby.

He became heavily involved with the city's Sikh community and was a foundry worker at Qualcast. He always attended the remembrance day services in Derby's Market Place and supported the Royal British Legion.

Charanjit's twin brother, Amarjit Singh Johal, said: "My father was very charismatic and charming, he would talk to anyone and was very witty. He would light up the room."

Amarjit said his father was very proud to be living in Britain and made sure he voted in every election. He said: "He was very business-minded and worked hard in whatever he did."

Charanjit said his father had taught him many things. He said: "He had a good life, he saw all of his children grow up and married all his children off himself."

Mr Singh was married to wife Gurdial, who died five years ago, for more than 60 years and wore his wedding ring until the day he died.

Amarjit said: "She was a very strong woman and he absolutely adored her."

Charanjit said: "We will miss him and his memory will live on forever in the hearts he touched.

"He was an excellent role model and taught his children and grandchildren very important lessons in life and which we will cherish and live on in his honour."

Members of the Royal British Legion will also be attending the funeral.

He also leaves two daughters, Kulwant Kaur Sanghera and Charan Kaur Lidher, as well as daughters-in-law Gurdev Kaur Johal and Rattan Kaur Johal and sons-in-law Tarlock Singh Sanghera and Avtar Singh Lidher.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Paul. Thanks Jerry for copying the text and pic.

These Indian soldiers, all volunteers, have my admiration.

RIP.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for the copy job Jerry and Ade i couldn't agree more!...

Bearing in mind the nature of obituaries, but he sounds like a great guy and I am sure he will be missed by those who knew him.

RIP Bur Singh Johal
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

RIP warrior.

?

A man's man.

?

Yes I agree with everybody on here I bet if you sat & had a cup of tea with this gent it would have been an interesting afternoon..Cheers Terry.

Quote by Tango View Post
    Yes I agree with everybody on here I bet if you sat & had a cup of tea with this gent it would have been an interesting afternoon..Cheers Terry.
    You bet!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    You bet!...
    RIP brave soldier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast