Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is the burn test accurate?

Article about: Hello, I've herd of four different ways to identify if WWII German fabric is real. First is the black light test, second is the whites in German material won't be a crisp bright white like m

Default Is the burn test accurate?

Hello,
    I've herd of four different ways to identify if WWII German fabric is real.
    First is the black light test, second is the whites in German material won't be a crisp bright white like modern clothes. Third is having that very old smell most antique military items do. And fourth is the burn test.

I read that original fabric will go up in flames instantly and not smell, and that modern fabric will have a stench and will catch on fire very slowly due to chemicals in it.
    I used a thread from a German flag and used thread from some more modern material. Usualy both would go up instantly but on other occasions both would still would burn very fast, but not "instantly" even though it was still fairly fast, only difference was the modern thread smelt bad when I burnt it.
    I was wondering how accurate the burning a thread test is?

Default Re: Is the burn test accurate?

I think it works, but I have never had the guts to get material from one of my items to test it! lol

Best to put up good, clear photos of your items, and let some of the
    pro's tell you if it is real or repro. My first items for ID here were
    an 'Alte Garde' flag and a 'ReichKriegsflagge', which were
    both judged to be fakes.............
    Regards,

Steve.

Alrighty, i'll try to put some pictures up of it sometime tonight. Ha don't count on it though since my internet can be slow at times.
    I bought it from a guy on this Forum, the guy already had posts of the flag on here before he was selling it. I think it was called "11 flags take a look"
    But he is very friendly and easy to deal with, also I have no doubt that he'd try to rip anybody off. I got lots of good references about him too.
    I just get very parnoid when ever I buy anything WWII German because I hear so many stories of people unitentionaly buying/selling fakes.
    Also if you find the forum post about the "11 flags" , the flag I purchased was the Kriegs flag that has its hanging side slightly cut off and then fabric taped to keep from fraying.
    I bought this one because me being 17 I dont have a very large income at all, so theirs no way I can afford an intact Kriegs flags for 700$, and it'll be awhile till I can. So I found that flag as a good oportunity to own one at the moment.

Also, sorry to hear about your items being fake. Thats no good considering how expensive all this stuff is.

Quote by Cody Countryman View Post
    Also, sorry to hear about your items being fake. Thats no good considering how expensive all this stuff is.
    Expensive indeed. I thought I had hit the jackpot. I know better now,
    thanks to the Forum................!

It turned out ok in the end though, because along with the bogus
    flags came a wool NSDAP armband and a Luftwaffe 'Flakhelfer'
    cap - both original - which were worth the money
    I spent on all four pieces.

For interests sake, here they are :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Steve.

Sorry to jump all over your thread, Cody.................!
    Regards,

Steve.

No worries! Its good to hear your deal went all good! Plus I love to look at this kind of stuff anyways, its always very interesting.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Best to put up good, clear photos of your items, and let some of the
    pro's tell you if it is real or repro. My first items for ID here were
    an 'Alte Garde' flag and a 'ReichKriegsflagge', which were
    both judged to be fakes.............
    As Steve said best to post pics as far as a burn test or UV those in the right hands can be a tool only and not a definitive answer IMO.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

I tried posting the pics tonight but it was'nt working. I'll give it another shot tomorrow, hopfully it'll work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast