Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buy repro or not?

Article about: Im somewhat of a purist. I dont collect repros. I collect a variety of items so when I get a fake, I learn from it and go back to the drawing board on that item before I try again. In the me

Default Buy repro or not?

.i know buying some repros isnt to everybodys taste ,but i like them.the majority of my antiques and militaria collection are genuine items.my recent buy is an m16 german repro helmet cover,which im delighted with.it has the leather reinforced area for the lugs and the hook atatchments for the rims.it was very reasonably priced and in the light of a guy on ebay trying to pass a repro one as original for crazy money i am more pleased.to underline some areas are so faked its getting nearly impossible to tell fake from real ,so i wont take the chance on high end items,and the money i save will go into other things in my life, and not some thiefs pocket.it may be an idea for a novice to put his money into repros before parting with big bucks ,and will give them time to learn from the forum, and other sources.

Default Re: Buy repro or not?

Well, it would not be for me and it is not something I would ever advise someone else to do. But at the end of the day it is your money and collecting should be about enjoyment, so if you feel happy doing this, that is you choice.

But for me collecting is about history.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Got to agree with Ade , far better to save up your money to buy a genuine historical article than fritter it away on modern repros , but each to his own i suppose !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Some areas are heavily Faked, Yes......But if you no your Subject, this should not really hinder you, Or change your Focus to something less faked, As the Guys rightly pointed out, its about the History! Good luck.

I know I am repeating myself...
    but the Chinees copy artefacts in order to honour they ancestors...all over theyre history.
    Like one said; "each to his own"!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Give me the real thing anytime.I wouldn't mind having a go at making a good quality repro combat helmet but I would never buy one for my own collection. The repro's are still relatively expensive for what they are... and I want the history.But whatever makes you happy cant be bad.

i have to agree with ade and paul here on this repros or fakes dont carry history only misery, my old man bought me a sd m42 present thinking it was real, untill this forum showed him and the seller what was what he then got his money back and the seller told me to keep the helmet anyway and gave me another one, oh great! NOT!!

now i am stuck with a bad fake lid not a repro one so i have since made it into a hanging type basket with fake flowers init for my lads room(not my small collection room) and it looks cool for that

but as long as it makes the person happy i.e you Lasv egas then whos to argue?

cheers ewan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good replies guys but remember i have many genuine items.for instance take a look at the red bull(bull being the operative word here, m40 sitting at over 800£son ebay.someone without exsperience is about to be parted with a big amount of money and the shrewd seller is legally covering himseld with the word (appears)in other words no legal comeback,the new owner is stuck with it.the repros i have bought in my opinion are excellent quality and a very low price.its as i s aid filling up the area where i wont part with big money for a potential fake which is sold as original.as one of the guys said whatever your relaxed with.

Ewan there is no misery with repros because you know what your buying ,its only when a collector is stung by a fake item which purports to be genuine.i can say i have never to my knowledge ever bought a genuine item which turned out to be a fake and that includes my antique collection.

it depends on the repro you are buying. I have a Janke-made Waffen SS officers visor cap, and it is extremely well made. I could never afford a genuine one, so this is the next best thing. As for 'repro' combat helmets, don't confuse repro helmets with re-worked genuine items. I see nothing wrong with a good shell that has a replacement liner and chinstrap. It's not the same as owning the crap which is coming out of China. I would say to Ewan have a go at stripping and re-painting your helmet to your own taste, there are plenty of reference books out there to work from. If you don't like the end-result, strip it and try again - you can hardly damage it can you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast