Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cannon EOS1000

Article about: I just bought a used Cannon Rebel and I have what is probably a dumb question. If anyone has some experience with one, PLEASE send me a PM. Thanks, Greg

Default Cannon EOS1000

I just bought a used Cannon Rebel and I have what is probably a dumb question.
    If anyone has some experience with one, PLEASE send me a PM.

Thanks,
    Greg
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hi Greg..the best I can do is get the word out.. I posted a link in a closed thread in the Tech Advice forum. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry. I appreciate the help.
    gregM

myself around.

I had one I got as a hand me down, perfectly good camera, just decided to stick with Nikon cause I already had more lenses. Fairly user friendly even without the manual. I just usually go through every function of the menu and adjust things as I like. I usually avoid A mode, stick to P and sometimes switch to M if I want the control over the lighting. The body is only as good as the lenses you have, the "kit" lenses are usually fairly crap... Some aftermarket lenses are pretty good, Tokina I like, Tamron good also (Tamron has a pretty highly reputed 90mm macro). Whenever you find a lens that might be interesting, Google it to see it there is a Ken Rockwell review, he's pretty honest in his reviews it will give you an idea of whether that lens is a gem or a dog... Tricky thing about Canon vs Nikon is there every few years, they seem to come out with a new batch of lenses that don't fit the older bodies, so you need to make damn sure it does work with the 1000D, most of the older stuff does.

Here's a PDF of the manual I snagged online.

http://www.fotobarkacs.hu/sites/foto...os1000d_gb.pdf
    Last edited by Larboard; 10-12-2015 at 06:21 PM.

I am a professional photographer, Canon user and former Camera shop manager, so there is a good chance I can help - but of course it depends what the problem is.

OK, so I've had a couple days to try and figure this thing out and so far
    I'm impressed with the picture quality but some of the features don't make
    much sense to me and I am hoping I am just doing something wrong.

The only time I seem to be able to use the LCD screen is when it's in Program mode.
    That really ***** when I am trying to shoot in Macro mode and have to look through the
    view finder.

Also, is there a way to disable the flash when shooting in Macro mode? I usually do my close-up
    shot using a light box and spot lights. I hardly ever use a flash.
    I see on the mode selector knob, that there is a (no flash) selection but how can I have the
    selector knob in Macro mode and still turn off the flash.

I am guessing that to have the control I am use to having with my cheap point and shoot Nikon
    that I need do everything in manual mode which I can do but I thought that this being a considerable
    step up in cameras for me that this thing would do more.

I bought this thing just a couple days ago and am already thinking of posting it on ebay.

I really appreciate any and all help I can get.

Thanks,
    Greg
    gregM

myself around.

You generally can't use the LCD as a viewer with a DSLR (there could be an exception out there?), and there's got to be a way to override the flash, impose flash off. About flash, I had a nice Canon bounce flash for mine (found it in a drawer and sold it just recently), great flash, bounce it off the ceiling with a softbox on it, really outstanding results as far as flash goes, but yeah... unless you really need it, don't use it.

If for some quirky reason you can't override the flash in Macro mode, skip the macro mode. It's just a "setting" anyway, like "sunset" or nightshot" or whatever. Shoot in P, or A, or M (total control the over the light in M), that's the beauty of digital, is that you can get instant feedback on your exposure, or yank the card out of the camera, stick in the reader, open stuff up on your screen and see if you're getting the shots you want.

Definitely more work involved with DSLR photography, and sometimes the results are even worth it ;-)

My brother in law is a big shot photographer (uses all Canon), use to hobnob with Ansel Adams... They have him go to Yosemite to teach seminars, or he goes to other really expensive seminars, and he's pretty much given up on his DSLR stuff in favor of a Canon EOS-M mirrorless Micro 4/3rds system, like a lot of other guys.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    You generally can't use the LCD as a viewer with a DSLR
    That's disappointing to hear.

I really appreciate your help with this. I was hoping for some easy answers but I can see it's going
    to be a bit of a learning curve. I really like the amount of control the little Nikon 5400 has but it's small
    lens size really limits picture quality.

I miss using my old Canon film cameras but those days are pretty much gone.
    Thanks again,
    Greg
    gregM

myself around.

Having a Canon FT way back in the day produced some of the most color and light controlled pics..than what a digital camera can do these days. I loved hand setting the aperture and film speed. If I used a 200 speed color film..I under set the film speed by one click..which produced some great quality color photos.

cant do that now with the cameras of today. A Nuclear science course is need to read and understand these modern day directions...or am I showing my age? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Greg,
    When I went looking for a digital camera, I "tested" two different ones. One was a Cannon, the other was a Panasonic Lumix. I found that the Panasonic was far easier to use, and the Cannon could not focus as well in macro mode. I chose the Panasonic and have not regretted it once. They have come down quite a bit in price since I purchased mine about 8 years ago.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast