Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canteen/Mess kit.. What is this?!

Article about: Hello everyone, I went to a military show the other day and just got around to cleaning up this canteen/mess kit (?). The vendor said he had no clue what it was, and neither did I...but I pi

?

Exclamation Canteen/Mess kit.. What is this?!

Hello everyone, I went to a military show the other day and just got around to cleaning up this canteen/mess kit (?). The vendor said he had no clue what it was, and neither did I...but I picked it up anyways hoping it might be a good find. Does anyone have any idea what this is? What country issued it? What war/era it's from? My best guess was Early WW1 or before...possibly and experimental canteen? All parts except the cup w/butterfly handles is marked "258" as well as the leather strap. This entire thing was COVERED in Cosmoline, and it looked like it had been for a very long time. My best guess is that it is British, as I can see some sort of resemblance to some of their canteens from ww1/ww2. Most/All parts are marked with an "R" and an "M"... Possibly "Royal Marines"? Just taking a stab....If anyone has any ideas or information, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks very early to me most likely from before ww1 ,the leather work and fixings look British as found on other British leather webbing items but i have never seen anything like this before

It is, in my opinion, a lunch kit for a Miner from the 1800's/Turn of the Century. Some of their lunch kits were quite elaborate like this one. No idea what the R M stand for, but the M, of course, could be for "Mine" such as "The Republic Mine", just for example. Conversely and equally possible, the R M could simply be the owner's initials to mark his property.
    I do like it alot and would not mind owning it myself! If you ever think of letting it go-drop me a note! A Nice find!
    Last edited by Wagriff; 04-02-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hello again everyone, Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it. However...after about 4 hours of research I finally found out what it was. Apparently, it is a "Mulligan Patent Canteen" from the American Civil War. Problem is, Although its the same exact canteen, mine has the brass tab with the number on it, and each piece is stamped with the same number...which cannot be found on any of the other pictures I found of this canteen. Anyone have any ideas what this number could mean? Thanks again - Ryan

Wow...when I'm wrong, I'm WRONG! lol What a Great item to find! Congrads! The number could be anything-like a rack number on a cutlass, etc. Probably no way to research it out, but I've been known to be Wrong before!
    William

what a find.well done.

"...but I picked it up anyways hoping it might be a good find." Ryan: Some people have all the luck. Congratulations on acquiring something that historical and valuable. A place in Gettysburg, PA has, or had, one of those for sale for--are you sitting down? $2,315. Dwight

Ryan has always had the luck of a Demon when it comes to finding cheap treasures! No Wonder I liked it! lol
    William

?

NING,NING,NING!!! Can you say JACKPOT!!!
    Great find
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

GREAT PICK! Boy will I keep my eye peeled for one of these at the flea markets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast