Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cleaning Your Displays - opinions, suggestions etc

Article about: Hi I was wondering how other collectors keep clean their displays especially uniforms and cloth headgear on mannequins. I keep my collection in a closed room in the basement with carpet on t

Default Cleaning Your Displays - opinions, suggestions etc

Hi

I was wondering how other collectors keep clean their displays especially uniforms and cloth headgear on mannequins.

I keep my collection in a closed room in the basement with carpet on the floor. I personally dust them with a clothing brush and do a visual check every 2 weeks. I also air the room with the outside air every weekend for couple of hours during the winter. I vacuum weekly and use cedar wood blocks and spray lavender mist once a week.

Please post any feedback, suggestions and ideas.

Personally, I think you are doing just fine!
    I might be careful which direction I would spray the lavender mist though.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

I like to dust my displays off. I also air out my bedroom where my display is kept, but other than that I don't do much. I just try to keep everything out of direct sunlight and try to make sure the lights in my room are on only when I need them.

Meyle I try to do about what you do as mentioned I think it is important to keep dust off the stuff but some people get plum silly about dust My friend has had things in his caboose for 40 years with cleaning like you suggest and has never had a damage problem. I probably should clean more than I do I used to keep them (Uniforms and cloth) in plastic bags and sealed in plastic garbage cans but I don't think it makes much difference I think some stuff needs to breathe. Just my Opinion. If you display it what you are doing is about all that can be done I do use cedar oil also the blocks are fine timothy

thanks for the input !

my room gets almost no sunlight - small window with blinds.

as to lavender - i spray myself to reduce my manly aroma ! :-)

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    thanks for the input !

my room gets almost no sunlight - small window with blinds.

as to lavender - i spray myself to reduce my manly aroma ! :-)
    Old spice?

Quote by Australia View Post
    Old spice?
    Yes, just as in the tv commercial :-)

I keep the curtains drawn in my study/war room. Even though the windows are reflective I prefer the only light to hit my material items to be artificial light.

I don't really do much in the way of cleaning unless I see an excessive build up of dust on something. I am a bit paranoid about moths and mildew though, so I try to either put small de- humidifiers among my items or run a big electric de- humidifier when I can, also moth balls. Maybe i should just collect shell cases, I don't think much can happen to brass lol

As to moth balls - what other solutions seem to worn ?

I use cedar blocks and lavender.