Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Close Combat: The Longest Day Campaign Thread

Article about: Hi guys! So, it's time to reveal a nerdy passion of mine. Every few months or so, when I find that I have a lot of free time, I fill it with a campaign of one of my favorite games- Close Com

Default Re: Close Combat: The Longest Day Campaign Thread

During the night, the 12th Regiment of the 4th I.D. secured Le Port Brehay, wiping out the Germans who had fled into the hedgerows during the day. Utah sector is now entirely secure and I can send the 101st Airborne down the coast.

Throughout this campaign, the major town of Isigny has been occupied by Ostbattailon 439 of the 716th Infantry Division. PIR 501 of the 101st Airborne moved into the town during the night, and took half of it. Again, the cover of darkness was very useful for my paratroopers here.

The Battle for Caen raged into the night. By nightfall, most of my regiments inland had received extra armor that rolled onto the secured beaches during the day. These extra tanks, mostly Shermans, certainly helped me fight off the panzers of the 21st Panzer Division.

One interesting scene during the night occurred when a Panzer IV and a couple of panzergrenadier teams crept by a house on a corner that had a Vickers MG team inside of it. on the street around the corner, I had a Sherman V awaiting the Panzer IV. When the enemy tank passed, my Sherman lit the thing up, and my Vickers opened up on the panzergrenadiere. The burning Panzer IV provided enough light for the Vickers team to be able to see their targets. Needless to say, the entire formation was wiped out in seconds.

- - Updated - -

That concludes the night of June 6th/7th. Casualties as of midnight:

Germany:
    506 KIA, 492 Wounded, 8 Tanks, 4 Vehicles, 24 AT Guns

Allies:
    218 KIA, 201 Wounded, 14 Tanks, 1 AT Gun

Great thread, please keep it up!

Yesterday, I moved the 8th Infantry Regiment of the 4th Infantry Division into Carentan. The Germans had moved out of the area and towards Point du Hoc immediately after the landings, leaving the town unoccupied. This morning (June 7th), Grenadier-Regiment 729 tried to take the town from me. My well-placed tanks and MG's turned the attack into a turkey shoot. Take a look at the casualties.

Carentan is still very much mine...

Forgot about this one! During the morning hours, FJR6 attempted a counterattack along the Carentan Causeway. It was repelled as well.

Grenadier-Regiment 739 counterattacked at Le Port Brehay, again ending in disaster for the enemy. At this rate, I should have complete control of Normandy in a matter of days.

Amfreville, June 7th, 1944- 0600 hours

The Germans attacked here, too. Plenty of German reinforcements arrived overnight and they have been throwing them all at me. Luckily enough, I managed to secure all of the beaches yesterday, so my armor that rolled in overnight can be put to good use.

The last of the June 7th counterattacks in Utah sector occurred at Pont L'Abbe, where the 508th PIR was waiting at the top of the hill with enough MG nests and tanks to repel the Germans without a single casualty.

Early this morning, the 501st PIR took Isigny from the few osttruppen that were left defending it. There is now a link between Utah and Omaha sectors.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast