Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Close Combat: The Longest Day Campaign Thread

Article about: Hi guys! So, it's time to reveal a nerdy passion of mine. Every few months or so, when I find that I have a lot of free time, I fill it with a campaign of one of my favorite games- Close Com

Default Re: Close Combat: The Longest Day Campaign Thread

Quote by Danmark View Post
    D+1 game time, D+5 real time....... Mo from PA collapses thru lack of sleep. The whole 12th SS Panzer Hitlerjugend passes by as he sleeps by the roadside!!!!
    I have been playing this game quite a bit. I have nothing better to do lately!

Anyway, I sent my British troops from Caen down into the area of Troarn. It's the only area of Normandy that I haven't secured yet. Waiting for me was another regiment of the 21st Panzer Division, which was a Panzergrenadier unit and not a solid tank unit, so it was not equipped with much armor.

Casualties as of Noon, June 7th, 1944:

Germany:
    800 KIA, 772 Wounded, 12 Tanks, 6 Vehicles, 28 AT Guns

Allies:
    240 KIA, 230 Wounded, 24 Tanks, 1 AT Gun

The only engagement that occurred during the late afternoon of June 7th was, again, at Troarn. The panzergrenadiere put up a good fight, destroying one of my Shermans and damaging another.

The end!

By the evening of June 7th, I had secured all of Normandy. Troarn went down without a hitch, as the rest of the 21. Panzer Division up and left.

Of the 4 men we were supposed to follow, 2 of them were in units that never saw combat, one survived, and one was gravely injured and captured. This game isn't a scale representation of the events in Normandy, but I love the series, because it really helps me understand the objectives and operations of the campaigns that can be played. One of my favorite things to do is to go and research the engagements as I play them out, to see what really happened. In reality, Operation Overlord was not nearly as easy of an accomplishment as this game makes it out to be. I took all of Normandy in a little less than 48 hours of game time, but the actual battle took until late August.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed following this thread. Perhaps, if you liked it, you can see if I'll try to take a bridge too far?

Mods, feel free to delete this thread if you wish. I am sure that all of these screenshots are taking up a lot of space on the server.

Casualties of the Battle of Normandy:

Germany:
    815 KIA, 803 Wounded, 13 Tanks, 6 Vehicles, 28 AT Guns

Allies:
    243 KIA, 233 Wounded, 25 Tanks, 1 AT Gun

What's the name?

Quote by kylesbullets View Post
    What's the name?
    Of what?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9