Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Close Combat: The Longest Day Campaign Thread

Article about: Hi guys! So, it's time to reveal a nerdy passion of mine. Every few months or so, when I find that I have a lot of free time, I fill it with a campaign of one of my favorite games- Close Com

Default Close Combat: The Longest Day Campaign Thread

Hi guys!

So, it's time to reveal a nerdy passion of mine. Every few months or so, when I find that I have a lot of free time, I fill it with a campaign of one of my favorite games- Close Combat. For those of you who have never heard of this game, I will say that it's fantastic, and everyone should try it out. Basically, you have a big map with 64 sectors that are all connected to each other by roads. You then command one side and move battlegroups around the map. The actual gameplay occurs when there is an engagement at a sector, and you fight it out in real time in that particular map. The battlegroups are usually at the company level on the field, but they represent regiments on the stratmap. For example, the screenshot I attached is an engagement on some map in Normandy between U.S. and German forces.

Every single soldier in each battlegroup has a name, rank, weapon, and squad role, as well as his own stats. The game keeps track of kills, medals, injuries, and levels of things like morale, strength, experience, cohesion, etc. During battle soldiers sometimes flee or surrender. On very rare occasions they go nuts and run into enemy fire fanatically. The psychological aspect of this game is really impressive.

Anyway, whenever I start a campaign I do this thing where I flip some coins and pick a soldier (sometimes a few per side) to keep track of from beginning to end. It's fun to see where a soldier goes, where he earns certain kills or suffers certain injuries, etc. The last time I played through a campaign, my 'guy' was SS-Sturmmann Utz from SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 20 in the 9. SS, who was severely injured in Arnhem during Operation Market-Garden and sent home.

I like to tell people about how my campaigns are going, and my girlfriend gets tired of hearing about it, so I am going to keep updating this thread as I play, complete with screenshots!

I am going to fight as the Allies for Normandy in this campaign. My forces are mixed U.S., British, and Canadian troops. The game includes almost every major unit present during the actual battle, and the objectives are the same as what they actually were. The way I play it is what makes the difference. If, for some reason, I wanted to pull back the British paras from Pegasus Bridge and let all of the tanks that Hitler held in reserve absolutely steamroll their way up the French coast, I could let that happen.

My question before I begin: Would any of you equally nerdy gentlemen like for me to pick a soldier at random for me to keep track of and update you on? I think it would be interesting to see who lives and who dies, who gets injured, who earns the Iron Cross or Bronze Star, etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Close Combat: The Longest Day Campaign Thread

I used to play that game Mo - but I have a short attention span and the strategy and randomness when the soldiers wouldn't respond or do stupid things soon tired me out and I went onto "instant gratification games" ..... otherwise known as first person shooters!!
    Call of Duty, brothers in arms, that sort of thing is about all I'm good for these days
    Dan ( but I'll watch YOUR progress! )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I used to play that game Mo - but I have a short attention span and the strategy and randomness when the soldiers wouldn't respond or do stupid things soon tired me out and I went onto "instant gratification games" ..... otherwise known as first person shooters!!
    Call of Duty, brothers in arms, that sort of thing is about all I'm good for these days
    Dan ( but I'll watch YOUR progress! )
    I get into those occasionally, but sometimes I like the satisfaction I get after a hard-fought victory.

I just did some coin-flipping, and my unit is the 115th Infantry Regiment of the 29th Infantry Division.

If i may suggest a game to play with unprecedented strategy details it would be Hearts Of Iron III, a brilliant WWII total war simulator.
    Morris

I did a bit of coin tossing and came up with these 4 units. I will follow one soldier from each.

Grenadier Regiment 914/ 352. Infanterie Division

115th Infantry Regiment/ 29th Infantry Division

9th Brigade/ 3rd. Canadian Infantry Division

Panzer-Grenadier Regiment 901/ Panzer Lehr

- - Updated - -

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    If i may suggest a game to play with unprecedented strategy details it would be Hearts Of Iron III, a brilliant WWII total war simulator.
    Morris
    I have played it, VERY steep learning curve, though. I always lose pretty quickly. lol

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Hi guys!

So, it's time to reveal a nerdy passion of mine. Every few months or so, when I find that I have a lot of free time, I fill it with a campaign of one of my favorite games- Close Combat.
    What is this "free time" you mention, I have never heard of such a thing. You must not be married... My wife worries herself sick thinking up things for me to do in my "free time".

I used to play this and many of the other versions and I agree it is an absolute classic for WWII computer gaming. Good luck with your campaign and I'll keep an eye out to see how you do.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Invasion!

It is Midnight on June 5th/6th, 1944. Men of the 101st, 82nd, and 6th Airborne Divisions have been dropped at positions behind Utah Beach and along the Caen Canal. Their objectives are to secure the roads leading to the beachhead, as well as to secure Pegasus Bridge and destroy the Merville battery. I am already thinking about altering these plans a bit. What if my U.S. paratroopers perform well tonight, and I am able to get them to clear the weak atlantic wall defenses from the rear at Utah Beach? This would effectively create a beachhead without losing a single soldier from the 4th Infantry Division.

Anyway, I want to concentrate on securing the flanks, and then squeezing the Germans into the hedgerows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I LOVE the Close Combat series of games! I have Invasion Normandy, Battle of the Bulge and the most recent Cross of Iron Eastern Front games loaded up onto my laptop!

I'll never forget the time one of my BAR gunners got the Medal of Honor. I had him in a hedge row and his unit was ambushed by a few German units... everyone was either killed or wounded except for the BAR gunner. I frantically tried to get my closest units to come over and take on Germans but by the time I got back to the area, my BAR gunner had taken out all the Germans.

Im with Dan as regards to war games "MEDAL OF HONOR""CALL OF DUTY"nothing too technical im afraid straight see'em and shoot'em,regards minnie

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast