Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'A close shave' !

Article about: Lets see any 'near miss' pics you know of. Here is a pic of Halifax bomber HR837. The crew were very fortunate when flying over Cologne in June 43. A bomb from a Halifax flying above them pa

Default 'A close shave' !

Lets see any 'near miss' pics you know of.

Here is a pic of Halifax bomber HR837. The crew were very fortunate when flying over Cologne in June 43. A bomb from a Halifax flying above them passed right through the fuselage without detonating!!

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Default Re: 'A close shave' !

I have often wondered just how many heavy bombers were hit by friendly bombs. Thx for the pic Wool.

?

I also have one of these "Right name, but Wrong adress" photos, i found it on the web.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by octavian View Post
    I have often wondered just how many heavy bombers were hit by friendly bombs. Thx for the pic Wool.
    Me too!

They think that Glenn Miller's aircraft was a casualty of something similar

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Phew. When I read the thread's title I thought you had just walked away from another car crash!

Quote by TrondK View Post
    I also have one of these "Right name, but Wrong adress" photos, i found it on the web.
    Ouch!! That is a lucky escape!

Nick

?

Not all sniperdamaged helmets are post45.

I bet his pants smelled Pee, and also look at the crew in the plane. Those guys had to return to the base without knowing if the plane would stay in one piece.

?

I don't have any photos unfortunately but a colleague of mine, Henry Buckton is a well known author and historian who has written several books about the war.

His research has thrown up many interesting tales.

One that stands out for me was when a Liberator bomber heading back to Smeatharpe airfield on the Blackdown Hills from an anti submarine patrol ran into trouble.
    It was night time and with very low cloud. The pilot misjudged his height and scraped the bottom of his aircraft on the top of one of the Exmoor hills.

The ball turret was dislodged with the impact with the gunner still inside. He rolled down the hill still encased in his turret and eventually came to a stop, he survived with minor injuries.
    The Liberator crashed not far away and there is a memorial in Porlock I believe to the crew.

For the ball turret gunner, this was indeed a close shave. Unfortunately not for the rest of the crew.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Phew. When I read the thread's title I thought you had just walked away from another car crash!
    God forbid Andreas !

Thanks for your concern

Nick

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I don't have any photos unfortunately but a colleague of mine, Henry Buckton is a well known author and historian who has written several books about the war.

His research has thrown up many interesting tales.

One that stands out for me was when a Liberator bomber heading back to Smeatharpe airfield on the Blackdown Hills from an anti submarine ran into trouble.
    It was night time and with very low cloud. The pilot misjudged his height and scraped the bottom of his aircraft on the top of one of the Exmoor hills.

The ball turret was dislodged with the impact with the gunner still inside. He rolled down the hill still encased in his turret and eventually came to a stop, he survived with minor injuries.
    The Liberator crashed not far away and there is a memorial in Porlock I believe to the crew.

For the ball turret gunner, this was indeed a close shave. Unfortunately not for the rest of the crew.
    Wow! Thats incredible! He must have looked at life differently after that escape!!

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast