Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Collecting for fun or profit????

Article about: Hi guys, I've been thinking, how many of us purposely collect to make a profit, how many buy knowing that they are paying top dollar for a 'must have' item and fully aware that they may not

Default Re: Collecting for fun or profit????

Purely the fun and enjoyment for me. I love history so I see it as a priviledge to safeguard my items from destruction and to save them for future generations to learn from and enjoy. To be able to hold in my hands the items that were actually there and used in those world altering times, that's just a fantastic feeling that gives me the chills sometimes. I never began collecting with the intent to make a profit. And for a little over a year now, I add the "commraderie" to that list of fun and enjoyment. Being able to chat with collectors from around the world, have meaningful conversations and learning new things, I consider that to be the true "profit" of collecting.

I also agree with Mo. Finding items in the "woodwork" so to speak and paying below or far below market value is a thrill. Much more exciting than just using a PayPal account to buy an item from a dealer. I thoroughly enjoy that adventure and it really puts a smile on my face and keeps this a fun hobby.

Hmm, I've been seriously collecting for about a year now, and I'd say I've mostly broken even and I could *almost* get my money back if I had to sell(perish the thought). I'm paring things down and reevaluating at the moment, and for every item I lose money on I've made it back on the next item I sell. So far at least. I definitely don't buy for investment, but I've slowly learned that it's better to buy items that you can perhaps sell later to fund another purchase down the road if you need to. Quality items, and things that both appeal to me at the same time. Though, I'm not always logical, haha.

much the same for me i like the hunt and to have a real piece of history in my hands

Have never understood why people has to make money out of everything. I am glad i can collect these historical important pieces, without thinking of making money of my purchases.

Money is just a cold tool for getting hold of a historical piece you feel is important for your collection.
    Collect ROA, Cossack, Schuma and other WW2 Volunteer militaria.

"Be Humble and kind, for you may find that it was Odin you entertained"

I embarked on collecting and model making as extensions to my passion for the study of WW2.

There is no greater thrill than holding history in your hand and educating yourself on particular items.

I have sold items on at a loss in order to purchase new and exciting items.

For me its a non profitable obsession

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I go back to the late 60s and early 70s and i never enjoyed a hobby more!I won't start on prices back then as everything is relevent,but you could talk to dealers and collectors and they to enjoyed the friendly banter!If you collect just for profit you are missing a great deal of fun that this hobby presents.When you find a piece such as a helmet,tunic, cap with a soldiers name i enjoy trying to find out about him.I would hope he survived and got back to his family after the horrendous WW2.My son enjoys my collection and i hope he will keep it or if he decides to sell some of it i have made a master list of what the items are and approximate value.I think all of us get a big kick out of getting a box in the mail and like a child at Christmas enjoying the contents!!

Ever since I joined the forums my love for this hobby has escalated to a new level, I could never imagine selling anything from my collection; especially the ones you guys have helped me with.

I am a collector I enjoy it.

Your right on the mark Dan, I love collecting, the hunt, and preserving the history of all these items, Ironically my collecting doubles over into American West Cowboy items, North West Mounted Police, and Copenhagen. haha I tried selling a few things to make money for collecting but its far to tight, and emotional trying to decide what to part with, so I found it easier to pick up an extra part time job to help the collecting.

I think true collectors eye the historical vs the monetary value of an item, thus are collectors. The "other half" are dealers and hobby dealers. They eye the monetary prize. Thus fakes and con artists are born.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast