Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Collecting is it an Investment as well as a Pleasure ?

Article about: Hi All I was looking at Stonemints post on the sale of some of Mr Hicks rather nice SS militaria and the subsequent discussion that followed was around the price/value of the said items. Or

I collect for the history, knowledge, enjoyment....but not as investments.

Sadly not many people appreciate my hobby, especially my parents. Telling me to stop buying and sell the junks.....can't even enjoy properly with my hobby so to speak.

At least I don't drink, smoke and gamble.....

Taka

I don't want to curse but screw the money, I'm in it for the history and the tales that these items could tell... if only.

I've gone through that with family-members as well, a long time ago...They'll get over it...At 27, I don't see how it's anybody else's business how you spend your own money anyway... I'm sure you don't tell them how to spend theirs, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

I don't like money at all, yes they are important but I rather have something that makes me happy.

They always telling me to save money, however I just can't do it.

Cheers!
    Taka

I don't really care about the value of my collection, it's all about having the history I love in my hand...priceless!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

There is no one answer to this question. It all depends on the individual. Some love the history and the connection to stirring past events, some view it as an investment, while to others, it can be an all consuming obsession. And for a great many still others, it is a combination of fun, learning and rarities with rising values that does it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I buy something because I like it. I rarely think in investment
    terms as I don't plan on selling. The consideration I give
    on price is--is the price comparable to others. That is to
    say, am I getting taken for a ride on the price.

If I want it bad enough, I pay whatever it takes but I hate
    to think I am really getting ripped off.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I am like many on the forum and I collect entirely for my passion of history. I find it very unique to own an object from wartime and touch it and think what it has seen, it's an amazing feeling for me and everything associated with collecting: the research, the pursuit for finds. I've only sold two items from my collection and it was so that I could fund my collecting more.

Many people have raised their eyebrows on my hobby and how expensive it is, but they understand and many have been very supportive and I thank them for that. It's really great to get a donation into your collection, regardless of the items worth or rarity. It shows that the other person values and understands what you do: preserving and remembering history, and of course it's nice to get an item for free .

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    I am like many on the forum and I collect entirely for my passion of history. I find it very unique to own an object from wartime and touch it and think what it has seen, it's an amazing feeling for me and everything associated with collecting: the research, the pursuit for finds. I've only sold two items from my collection and it was so that I could fund my collecting more.

Many people have raised their eyebrows on my hobby and how expensive it is, but they understand and many have been very supportive and I thank them for that. It's really great to get a donation into your collection, regardless of the items worth or rarity. It shows that the other person values and understands what you do: preserving and remembering history, and of course it's nice to get an item for free.
    Always good to have people understand and supporting your hobby !!

Cheers!
    Taka

?

I have a small collection and I'm 14, I don't have a job so I can't buy most helmets or anything with a swatsticka on it. For me its about the history, and what its been through. I know that buying and reselling ,if done right, can be a good thing, but I collect for pleasure only.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast