Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Collecting is it an Investment as well as a Pleasure ?

Article about: Hi All I was looking at Stonemints post on the sale of some of Mr Hicks rather nice SS militaria and the subsequent discussion that followed was around the price/value of the said items. Or

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    I would very much like to make you happy. Not in the happy ending kind of way though.
    Heehee, well if you happen to be a good looking woman- aaaaand like to travel, and have absolutely no problems with my bigamist behaviour. Then i would gladly give you a little treat if you have been a good girl....

?

If one collects for investment then I know of some very attractive northern muskeg I would like to sell you.

Collecting is a conduit to history, a connection to the past, an appreciation for the trials and tribulations soldiers endured, an educational purpose, an occupation of interest.

But it is not an investment in this day and age.

?

I've never had a lot of money to collect with, and the items I sell usually make a big loss. I always try and sell things below market price. And the majority of the time below what I paid.

I think of it as a hobby, really. I like the history. I have barely a collection left. Majority of it being sold to fund trips to Dublin to meet collectors and the Sos. A lot again has been given away to younger collectors. Cause I know how tough it is to collect on a small budget.

Right now I'm just focusing on expanding my collection of Books. I have a small job and have a list of books I want to get when I get payed.

?

Quote by Patrick Lewis View Post
    . A lot again has been given away to younger collectors. .
    Younger than you Patrick ?!? LOL. Your a good kid, keep it up and you will be richly rewarded. Books are the backbone of a collection IMO.

I collect for the enjoyment of it, It's nice to have pieces of history in your possession;aswell as looking at all the different makers of awards. Hope to have an complete KVK collection soon.

I collect for the personal enjoyment of collecting, and the preservation of historic items. The stuff I collect has a very small amount of collectors that have interest in it, so if I were to sell up I know most of the collectors who would buy it and profit would be small or none, but I probably would not lose too much money. We have all overpaid for items we really really wanted at one time or another and that being said there are items that I will be very hard pressed to profit from if viewed from an investment standpoint. I also collect due to mild O.C.D. as many collectors have, but few admit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Quote by FrankBooth View Post
    ..... I also collect due to mild O.C.D. as many collectors have, but few admit.
    Another honest collector! I freely admit my OCD tendencies. In fact I will spend hours rearranging my wall of helmets or a display when I get something new and each helmet has to be facing a certain direction so the decal can be seen when sitting at the table. Then I go wash my hands repeatedly. (Just kidding about the hands part!)

I just like collecting this stuff, it's great having historic items to look at like these. I see them on a doco, see pics of them in a book or a movie and then go into my room and play with the real thing, how goods that!! Just glad I don't have a fascination for Ferrari's or something, I'd be a twisted and bitter old fart cos I'll never afford one of them!

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I just like collecting this stuff, it's great having historic items to look at like these. I see them on a doco, see pics of them in a book or a movie and then go into my room and play with the real thing, how goods that!! Just glad I don't have a fascination for Ferrari's or something, I'd be a twisted and bitter old fart cos I'll never afford one of them!
    The value will drop immediately as soon as you drove them on the road, and spending extra more for feeding the bugger......

Regards,
    Taka

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Another honest collector! I freely admit my OCD tendencies. In fact I will spend hours rearranging my wall of helmets or a display when I get something new and each helmet has to be facing a certain direction so the decal can be seen when sitting at the table. Then I go wash my hands repeatedly. (Just kidding about the hands part!)
    Dead on Doug! The right angles, light, position. Hours and hours organizing. I thought I was the only one.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast