Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Collecting is it an Investment as well as a Pleasure ?

Article about: Hi All I was looking at Stonemints post on the sale of some of Mr Hicks rather nice SS militaria and the subsequent discussion that followed was around the price/value of the said items. Or

I collect for pleasure. For investment i have silver bullion coins.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Another honest collector! I freely admit my OCD tendencies. In fact I will spend hours rearranging my wall of helmets or a display when I get something new and each helmet has to be facing a certain direction so the decal can be seen when sitting at the table. Then I go wash my hands repeatedly. (Just kidding about the hands part!)
    OCD is something I suffer from I am sure, certainly in regards to collecting, it is an obsession and I will happily spend many an hour every day staring at the com screen or photos of my collection or items in my collection or books on the subject again and again. And again.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

My wife tells me it's not an investment, it's a sickness.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

People who buy militaria as an investment, with no feeling for anything except profit, usually end up losing money. People who buy it with no thought of investment, but purely because they recognise something as a "good thing" and wish to own it for its own sake, usually end up with a collection worth quite a bit more than they paid for it. Just my observations after 30+ years!

First, collecting militaria gives me a lot of pleasure. Handling these items, makes you almost feel what they have expierenced. The hunt for special items of interest gives the chill ! Could be like an obsession or addiction
    I certainly do not collect for the investment, many times I tend to buy more worn pieces instead of more expencive minty items, that for sure would keep the value better ! But I like the others better most of the time.
    That said, when a good deal strikes, and I get an item far below market price, I am almost more happy for it
    I have never really tried to resell any of my stuff, at least not any German, only a couple of blackpowder guns, which I could have made a small fortune on a couple of years ago, but now they suddenly have dropped in value
    That goes for 2 oldtimer Harley´s I sold recently, and always have considered as "good investments", I had to sell with a considerable loss
    BUT as for the militaria, it will be quite a heavy coffin to carry, when I´m dead, cause I plan to wear every single EK im my possession at that time

The ONLY real investment today is : Live your life the way you want, collect what ever you want, and make sure not to have too many regrets when the time is up

MFG
    Marc

Nicely said
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Quote by unimarc View Post
    The ONLY real investment today is : Live your life the way you want, collect what ever you want, and make sure not to have too many regrets when the time is up

MFG
    Marc
    Exactly. Never waste your time trying to please others who does not understand the pleasure of saving and preserving history.

Aaand try not to have to many wifes at one time. Well maybe that advice belongs in another part of this forum.

TrondK, No the wife thing applies ;-)

mfg
    Marc

?

I find its a lot easier to buy from someone who only wants money..dealers love money..they will sell there mother down the river for more money. they will sell fakes and put there reputation on the line for more money... but its tough to aquire something from someone who loves war booty.. so for us who like to collect regalia its a minefield wading thru the money mongers at the show..ok maybe im alittle overboard..see you at the show

?

An interesting question and for me the answer is quite simple collecting has always been an absolute pleasure and to be able to preserve just a little sliver of a certain period in time that had been historically important in are National History has been vastly enjoyable and educational .
    I have been lucky enough to have chosen a field of study that for many years was widely overlooked by the vast majority of the collecting community and for the most part was found uninteresting as a field of study .
    This phenomena as it were kept prices very reasonable for a long time but with a healthy and growing interest in Canadian WW II history over the last few years this has come to pass and now the hunted has become more elusive and with it the price has risen in leaps and bounds in a very short time .
    So with these facts in mind as an investment I have indeed fared well but this in know way influences how I look at and or feel about collecting Canadian Mk II helmets as the Best Part of it all is the hunt for that tin lid that has something about it just a little different and not so one of which that you have that graces my shelf as of yet .

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark K; 02-25-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast