Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Collecting Nazi memorabilia is it wrong ?

Article about: by big ned I sense the inky fingerprints of a journalist all over this question looking for something where they can get in a few cheap shots that will not bear well towards the collecting c

Default Re: Collecting Nazi memorabilia is it wrong ?

Quote by Badge View Post
    What are your views ?
    I sense the inky fingerprints of a journalist all over this question looking for something where they can get in a few cheap shots that will not bear well towards the collecting community as a whole, so I will not be commenting.

On the otherhand, I did go to a party as 'Bacon' Hitler at the weekend! Unfortunately, that went down like a turd in the trifle.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Any 3rd Reich militaria that I have is purely to preserve history and use it to educate future generations. I am a strong believer in the old addage that if you forget history you are doomed to repeat it.

I think a lot of us collect 3rd Reich "stuff" because of how well it was made and how good the stuff looks. Let's face it, the German military during WWII was and still probably ranks among the best looking in terms of the style of their battle dress, field gear, dress uniforms, regalia, etc.

With that being said, I am always a little tense when I see fellow collectors displaying flags, banners, etc. with large swastikas as the focal point of their living rooms... I fully understand the appreciation of history, but it is something I could never do.

If you collect reproductions then I think its wrong, but collecting originals and having a seperate room displaying them and reserching them it is a fine thing to do .
    Mostly people think its wrong because its still fresh in people's memories, if we wait a hundred years and all the vets an reletives are history, than no one would mind collecting the items, but people's grandads and dads died in the war and seeing a swastica could be hurtful. (my grandad had a close incounter with the luftwaffa bombing belfast.)

unless you are using the items for the right reasons, IMO its fine.

regards
    Pat

I get so sick of the attitude of some people towards myself and the items I collect. What I collect does not define me as a person.
    If you can collect without embroiling yourself in the ideologies of the period, I can find no fault.
    Tom

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    I sense the inky fingerprints of a journalist all over this question looking for something where they can get in a few cheap shots that will not bear well towards the collecting community as a whole,
    That was something along the lines I was thinking Ned. An unusual first post so it will be interesting to see if 'Badge' comes back with my question back at him/her.......

?

Hello

I think if you are collecting it because you are a neo nartzie then no it's wrong however it's a important part of history and i see nothing wrong with collecting for the historic value but a lot of pepole don't understand ...

Kind regards
    Alex

To me, i willing collect Wehrmacht stuff. I do not like/want to collect SS or NSDAP stuff that is the Nazi Party. I just pefer not to have them. However If other people collect that stuff then go right ahead. That stuff need only to be around for historical perpuses. To use it in a 4th reich way is wrong.

ned whats the chances that if this badge is a reporter/journalist your pics all over the headlines looks brilliant there should be a series

tom

Quote by talltom View Post
    ned whats the chances that if this badge is a reporter/journalist your pics all over the headlines looks brilliant there should be a series

tom
    I dont think that is actually Ned Tom

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

A neighbour of mine had a look at my collection last week, " I don,t like that aul nazi stuff " the same person never read a history book in his life.

Martin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast