Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Colourised WWI pictures.

Article about: From the paper we all love to hate. Bringing the First World War to life: Grainy black and white pictures of British soldiers training for battle are digitally coloured | Mail Online Photos

Default Colourised WWI pictures.

From the paper we all love to hate.

Bringing the First World War to life: Grainy black and white pictures of British soldiers training for battle are digitally coloured | Mail Online

Photos taken 100 years ago of British Tommies preparing for the First World War have been brought to life after they were digitally coloured.

The vivid snaps are in stark contrast to the grainy black and white photographs depicting the Great War that we are used to seeing.

Most of them were taken in July 1914 and show soldiers getting battle-ready at training camps in the Home Counties.

Others depict the men dressed in their smart green uniforms on parade in a town square on the eve of war and then stood on a train station platform as they begin their journey to France.

As well as being filled with colour, some of the photos are tinged with poignancy as many of the men pictured never came back.

Read more: Bringing the First World War to life: Grainy black and white pictures of British soldiers training for battle are digitally coloured | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Very interesting site, Thank you for posting.

Dean O

And some more from a different source.

World War 1 in Colour (Photos) | The Open University
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Jerry I bet me lunch the trench pic is a modern reenactment in fact if they'd take their masks off I may recognise the blighters.

Hun with a Gun Eric

Notice the grass isn't mowed under the Pigeon-Truck and the well-trod path leading to it...a static display...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by Unterstand View Post
    Jerry I bet me lunch the trench pic is a modern reenactment in fact if they'd take their masks off I may recognise the blighters.

Hun with a Gun Eric
    As far as I understand it all are period pics that have been tinted Eric.
    Regards,

Jerry

The analytical eye you guys show here daily is astonishing. Just thought it needed said.

?

CamouPigeonBusAdj.JPG

The original photo of the Pidgeon roost, not a static display. These would have stood behind lines for a while or the pigeons would not know where to fly back to, hence the long grass and path.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Notice the grass isn't mowed under the Pigeon-Truck and the well-trod path leading to it...a static display...
    cheers, Glenn
    Neither is it here......This French carrier pigeon loft, shown below, looks to have been in the same place for a while as well, the similarities are remarkable. When you think about it logically, it makes sense that the truck would stay in the same place to receive incoming birds from the trenches or wherever with messages at a forward operating base as this could well be. It would be no use moving the truck elsewhere so that when pigeons arrived back with urgent messages there was no loft to return to, and even worse as far as the pigeon is concerned, no food, water and perch to rest on surrounded by his feathered mates!

It's clear from the photo above that the grass around the mobile loft has been mowed, as the stooks of drying hay can be seen in the background, and the worn area is typical of the handlers and other troops going back and forth to the front and back of the truck, I see no problem with this photo being absolutely genuine, it's just a matter of how you perceive and interpret it.

Regards, Ned.

French pigeon truck..jpg
    Last edited by big ned; 08-12-2014 at 12:22 AM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by Anon View Post
    As far as I understand it all are period pics that have been tinted Eric.
    I'm not expert on them but I'd like the allied gents to look at those hoods they appear to be copies to me and I thought it was useless if not tucked inside the tunic like the soldier close to the camera, trench is too neat and manicured even for a training area somethings off Jerry I like the other pics.

Eric

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast