Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Concentration Camp Vet Bringbacks?

Article about: Dear Mods, I have mentioned this topic in my garbage thread. If anyone thinks this new thread is unnecessary, please feel free to delete it. I recently had the honor of viewing and borrowing

Default Re: Concentration Camp Vet Bringbacks?

Good hypothesis, Ned!

To me, it screams dagger... just the way it is shaped (especially the handle), and the way it fits in my hand.

Quote by big ned View Post
    When I was a kid my family and I lived in Namibia, South West Africa. I remember the local Himba tribeswomen using a tool almost identical to this for grubbing up roots, rizomes and insects for food and medicine. Normally held with two hands, they would thrust it in the ground and drag it towards themselves at a furious rate again and again and again!

I wouldn't mind betting that this implement was put to similar use for digging vegetables etc. by members of work parties when out of camp, it's just so obvious to me, but hey, who knows?

Regards, Ned.

Regards
    You might be onto something there Ned, now that you mention it I've seen similar tools used for the exact purpose you describe on Bruce Parry and other bushcrafty shows.

Without direct provenance from the veteran, the source of these items will always be conjecture. No inmate or prisoner would ever have been allowed to have a sharpened implement such as the one shown in your photos. It is possibly an auger for digging holes to plant seeds. My first thought was a stake for killing vampires!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Without direct provenance from the veteran, the source of these items will always be conjecture. No inmate or prisoner would ever have been allowed to have a sharpened implement such as the one shown in your photos. It is possibly an auger for digging holes to plant seeds. My first thought was a stake for killing vampires!
    Noted! As I said, these could have come from anywhere. What makes me believe the items are authentic is that the son-in-law of the vet who is letting me borrow the items know that they meant a lot to the vet and they are considered family treasure. I am only borrowing them. It's not like the guy is trying to sell them to me for top dollar.

Great thread GIz....

As for "Other Bring Backs", in addition to the shaving kit I posted in your other thread, my mother posesses a wooden rice ladle, carved and used by my grandfather, during his stay in the Burma Prison Camp he was in. He managed to get his hands on a small piece of triangle shaped metal and etched something into it (I can't remember what, it's been quite some time since I have seen this piece) and it is nailed on the that handle with three very small nails. I hope this piece ends up in my sons possesion at some point, it is one of those irreplacable pieces of war history with a significant story to tell.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I can see it now....Solly The Vampire Slayer!

Keep Calm & Carry Garlic, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

With regard to the spoons, I think it is worth pointing out that, in the many accounts of concentration camp life I have read, prisoners were generally fed on watery soups and gruels. A flat spoon would not be helpful in eating these sorts of food.

I had a friend who was a ww2 vet that had gone into Flossenburg. He would seldom
    even talk about that part of his time in the service. He had very bad memories of
    going into the camp.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2