Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Concentration Camp Vet Bringbacks?

Article about: Dear Mods, I have mentioned this topic in my garbage thread. If anyone thinks this new thread is unnecessary, please feel free to delete it. I recently had the honor of viewing and borrowing

Default Concentration Camp Vet Bringbacks?

Dear Mods, I have mentioned this topic in my garbage thread. If anyone thinks this new thread is unnecessary, please feel free to delete it.

I recently had the honor of viewing and borrowing (for my hands on high school lesson) the various items that Pvt. Don Lane, a member of the 14th Armored Division, brought back from his time in the service.

Beyond the German insignia, etc. that most vets brought back, there were two crudely made wooden spoons and another utencil of some sort...

IMG_3495.jpg

The vet's son-in-law said that Pvt. Lane picked these up in Europe, but never talked about them. I assumed at first that he meant that Pvt. Lane made these himself and used them... Who would be excited to talk about these shoddy looking utencils?

However, then I remembered the nice stainless steel mess kits and utencils that all GIs were issued...

I did some more research on the 14th Armored Division and found that they took on the nickname: "The Liberators" because they liberated many POW camps, forced labor camps, and concentration camps... This hit me like a ton of bricks... Could these utencils be what the poor souls in the camps used to feed themselves?

It's obvious that two of the utencils are spoons. The third... I originally thought was broken. BUT, the more I look at it, it looks like it was sharpened intentionally to a point... and it kind of looks like a weapon to me... a dagger of sorts?

What do you fine ladies and gentlemen think?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND CONSIDERATION!

Default Re: Concentration Camp Vet Bringbacks?

I visited the Sachsenhausen concentration camp a few years back and it was a very sobering experience that I will never forget. Even in it's current state as a museum, I couldn't imagine taking a souvenir there... I can barely even imagine how horrible it would have been back in the 40s...

?

I think it is not only feasable but likely that they were made in camps,true piece of thought provoking history right there

Quote by JD666 View Post
    I think it is not only feasable but likely that they were made in camps,true piece of thought provoking history right there
    I agree. I know there is no way in knowing what these are exactly and where they were taken... but my gut feeling tells me that they are from the camps. This sounds kind of silly, but when I hold them... I feel horrible. I feel so sad and sick to my stomach.

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I agree. I know there is no way in knowing what these are exactly and where they were taken... but my gut feeling tells me that they are from the camps. This sounds kind of silly, but when I hold them... I feel horrible. I feel sick to my stomach.
    Probably the thought of what was occuring all around where and when they were made,when handling them its bound to be in the forefront of your thoughts

I thought that thing was a kind of basic fork but it might have been intended for some SSTK throat (not you Doug if you are reading this )

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I feel horrible. I feel sick to my stomach.
    Understandable to a degree but if these pieces are from a camp you also have the opportunity to preserve them and also make sure the lives of those who lived and died in the camps can be remembered by using these tangible items from that time to educate.
    I would rather someone in your position had them than someone who might just throw them away without a second thought.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Other than SS insignia, does anyone know of other camp related vet bring backs similar to these utencils?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Understandable to a degree but if these pieces are from a camp you also have the opportunity to preserve them and also make sure the lives of those who lived and died in the camps can be remembered by using these tangible items from that time to educate.
    I would rather someone in your position had them than someone who might just throw them away without a second thought.
    Thanks for the kind words! I have them packed away for my hands-on WW2 lesson. I am scheduled to conduct the lesson today at 1PM EST.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I thought that thing was a kind of basic fork but it might have been intended for some SSTK throat (not you Doug if you are reading this )
    When I was a kid my family and I lived in Namibia, South West Africa. I remember the local Himba tribeswomen using a tool almost identical to this for grubbing up roots, rizomes and insects for food and medicine. Normally held with two hands, they would thrust it in the ground and drag it towards themselves at a furious rate again and again and again!

I wouldn't mind betting that this implement was put to similar use for digging vegetables etc. by members of work parties when out of camp, it's just so obvious to me, but hey, who knows?

Regards, Ned.

Regards
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast