Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Could someone evaluate this bag?

Article about: Hello! First of all, I would like to apologize, as I'm not sure where this thread should go (there is no post-war Germany board, as far as I can see), and for the fact that these photos are

?

Default Could someone evaluate this bag?

Hello!

First of all, I would like to apologize, as I'm not sure where this thread should go (there is no post-war Germany board, as far as I can see), and for the fact that these photos are linked-- my iPad will not allow me to upload directly to the forum.

Anyway, I recently purchased a military bag from a seller who had no real idea what it was. It says Bundeswehr and looks to me like an early construction, but I've never seen another bag quite like it. If someone could tell me a little bit more, such as its age, authenticity, and if it's worth diddly-squat, I'd be extatic. And even if it isn't, I am completely happy! I spent a mere $25 on it, so that means a cool looking new book bag for the price I'd pay for a not-so-cool looking one.

I'll take a wild guess at a gasmask bag, but i don't think the Bundeswehr patch belongs with it!....

The low quality stitching and inside raw edges of the material seem to indicate it being a civilian bag made to resemble a military one. The patch, if the bag is civilian, may well have been there from day one, as it could be simply one of your normal patriotic type of bags. You see imitation military in the US all the time, for example. Usually on a military piece, you would expect to see all sorts of ink stampings inside the flaps and interior.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Gunny,
    I've looked up a few gas mask bags, and now that you mention it, it certainly does look like one! Unfortunately that brings it even farther from my knowledge zone, as I've never dealt in anything related to gas masks.

William,
    That sounds quite possible as well. It would certainly explain the Bundeswehr patch! I've never seen one like that on a bag, but it does look like it has aged with this one, so that makes sense. When you say civilian bag though, do you mean someone had made it for themselves, or that it was a low-quality version that could be sold to the public..? The thought of someone making their own version of a bag sounds awfully neat.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on age? Am I looking at something closer to the 50s or the 80s?