Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Craig Gottliebs Auction Scam Disclaimer

Article about: by Panzer1031 wow, thanks for sharing that Uberman. Ive learned alot of things I didnt know about Auction houses and there schemes. I will have to keep an eye out at next weeks auction. I se

Default Re: Craig Gottliebs Auction Scam Disclaimer

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    wow, thanks for sharing that Uberman. Ive learned alot of things I didnt know about Auction houses and there schemes. I will have to keep an eye out at next weeks auction. I see alot of the same people at the auction I attend. so is it possible that most likely one or more people are working for the house and pretending to be private bidders? I guess I understand why it happens now, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Depends on the house. A specialized house is more likely to be bidding on their own lots, whereas a more general estate sale auction house has zero need for that and in fact prefers to sell EVERYTHING to make physical inventory space.

And don't call them schemes, it's how the business operates, spelled out in the rules and regulations. Always read the fine print. And they don't pretend to be private bidders, technically the house IS a private bidder, even in it's own auction (provided it's bidding).

And seeing the same people definitely is not an indicator of any improper behavior by the house, in fact it's the opposite. It shows loyal clientele. If you see 95% new people and 2-3 SAME ones at every auction, then I'd be worried. And the reason you see the same crowd is because they are mostly dealers, buying inventory for their shops and individual clients, and wholesale/junk/estate auctions are perfect for that which is what I assume this one is.

Have fun and bid, and show off your treasures to us later!

Default Re: Craig Gottliebs Auction Scam Disclaimer

Oh well, i guess at the end of the day you should only bid up to what you are willing to pay and if the house wants the item so bad then the house can buy it. (Just makes it harder to snag that $50 SS dagger )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12