Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Defending One's Self

Article about: i'm happy that you understand me :P People that ask opinions of other members need to understand that, that isn't everything. They have to look by themselves for more information in the iner

Default Re: Defending One's Self

Quote by klokhoane View Post
    I don't get the problem

I've asked several times on this forum for help and i got it.
    I'm very greatful for that.
    When someone asks if something is real or not he can expect the awnser that it isn't real. My opinion is that, that person has to deal with it.
    Don't whine, it still can be a beautiful item.

Don't mind the spelling pls

cheers,
    I can appreciate your opinion and the excellent point that you've made. The problems that exist today are no different that when I entered the main stream of militaria collecting, the only difference is that there are more reproductions to choose from today... and more experts to add to the confusion.

Confusion? ... Yes, definitely, still exists today as well. There's an old saying "When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout".

i'm collecting ww2 items since a few years now.. mostly i collect the items i found myself, with my detector... There are more reproductions but who gives a damn.. if u have an item for ur collection but it isn't real it still can be a great addition for ur collection... If u wanna be sure that u won't get a repro than don't start collecting at all :P

cheers,

Quote by klokhoane View Post
    i'm collecting ww2 items since a few years now.. mostly i collect the items i found myself, with my detector... There are more reproductions but who gives a damn.. if u have an item for ur collection but it isn't real it still can be a great addition for ur collection... If u wanna be sure that u won't get a repro than don't start collecting at all :P

cheers,
    Artifacts that have been excavated, in my opinion, are the most significant as they have a true story to tell. Most who read the forums know what I do, some agree with it, while others do not however, no matter as it is becoming more acceptable and those who have asked my help have found this out. It's better to know what you really have then not. Historical value may by far supersede monetary value.

Dugor53
    ?

Quote by Steven M View Post
    A lot of this nonsense would be non-existent if collectors would actually READ for themselves; very few people read any more. If it can't be found on page one or two of a Google search, then other avenues of research are not explored. It is very easy to sit back and be lazy, rely on others hard work and then lay blame at the feet of those who offer their opinions when requested. I find this to be especially true amongst the "buy first, ask later" crowd.

If you want to buy blind, waste money and then get angry at others because they tell you the item is bad, then that is a personal problem, and not one that is to be placed upon the shoulders of those generous enough to try to help.
    10-4 Steven. I am a new member to this superb forum and I have already learned that the amount of forgeries of WWII memorabilia is extensive. How fortunate that this forum has numerous experts that have done their homework/research to supply excellent opinions and accurate details to the novice or mis-informed collectors seeking the truth regarding their historic collectible(s).

I have been collecting small antiques, the majority being bottles, for the past 35 years and I now thank the lord above that I didn't choose WWII memorabilia. No offense to anyone but if I had choosen WWII memorabilia to collect back in the 1970"s and after viewing this forum, I would have to wonder how much of my stuff could be altered or full blown forgeries.

As stated previously in this thread, collecting is viewed and enjoyed differently depending on the collector and what they collect. For me, collecting the "Real McCoy" and knowing 100% that it is the "Real McCoy" is paramount. If I get burned on a collectible then I only have myself to blame because the world is full of thieves and we as humans continue to under estimate the patience and determination of these despicable creatures.

All I can say is if your're not sure if what you are buying is the "Real McCoy", find the patience and determination to prove that the item is or is not the "Real McCoy"!

hi guys, I was at one time a catologier for a militaria compony for all german items.[expert] I knew all the people who were making the repros/fakes.[no names.] souval came up very often,I spoke to mr souval and he told me at the end of the war he had thousands of badges left over without pins so he used what ever he could get to finish them. the guys in the 70s who started making quality fakes to d
    ecieve collectors are some well known dealers in medals and badges. I would not pass them as original,they did not like that.in the finish I got pissed off with it all and jacked it in.when you talk of diamond awards,unless its the man it was given to beware.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    hi guys, I was at one time a catologier for a militaria compony for all german items.[expert] I knew all the people who were making the repros/fakes.[no names.] souval came up very often,I spoke to mr souval and he told me at the end of the war he had thousands of badges left over without pins so he used what ever he could get to finish them. the guys in the 70s who started making quality fakes to d
    ecieve collectors are some well known dealers in medals and badges. I would not pass them as original,they did not like that.in the finish I got pissed off with it all and jacked it in.when you talk of diamond awards,unless its the man it was given to beware.
    Hi ... You just made a point of singling out Souval as an example, why not mention the other names? Now, that would be of great benefit to the members of the forum.

because souval did not intendend to decieve people. these items were original with a crap pin.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    because souval did not intendend to decieve people. these items were original with a crap pin.
    I understand though the other names and locations would be helpful to know?

Souval also changed their makers mark R.S. as well to distinguish their after war production from their wartime production.

U say that douval (or whatever his name is) didn't want to decieve people.... But actually he did it anyway... If u have a badge without a pin and u ad a pin by urself ur making a relic into a fake... That's my opinion.. a badge doesn't need a pin or what so ever to be a great addition to your collection.. Why does everything have to be in a mint codition??? Why would u start a collection of something that was more then 60 years ago and expect that what u get is in a mint condition.?
    I'm happy with everything i have, if it's a fake or not..

cheers,

?

We all have questions concerning militaria ..
    Sometimes there are easy answers to be found, and sometimes fellow collectors are willing to help.

Some details and information are buried deep in hidden archives, and take many years to track and trace ... But ! the upside of this, is the feeling when you uncover something close to your area of research that has been forgotten and laid dormant for years.

I would suggest to anyone that this is the hidden side of collecting, ...

You can't beat the feeling of uncovering something for yourself !

Gary J.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast