Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The definition of an expert

Article about: Ok, here I go again, on my own little soap box, oblivious to the world around me................................................ .. If you are an "Expert" in your field. Do you a)

Default The definition of an expert

Ok, here I go again, on my own little soap box, oblivious to the world around me................................................ ..

If you are an "Expert" in your field. Do you

a) Stand up and say "I'm the man"
    b) sit quietly in the background until someone says "Hey, he is the man"
    c) Read from books and profess to be an expert
    d) say nothing and just watch

I'm an expert
    An EX as in "has been" and SPURT as in a drip under pressure

Oh come on, it's a laugh
    Why do people get on their soapbox and say things that are open for attack.?

Ho hum

Default Re: The definition of an expert

You funny John.

Definition: Expert- A pompous blowhard that is too full of themselves for their own good. This characteristic often requires a bow and kissing of the ring to earn the "privilege" of the exhaled individuals superior knowledge being imparted to the peasantry.

Personally, when I hear someone profess to being an "expert" I laugh and them avoid them. Why? Because to render such a pompous statement indicates that they have seen, studied and encountered EVERY element of that particular field and have nothing else to learn - BS.

In short, there is no such thing as an expert in my small humble opinion. Some of the most enlightened, knowledgeable and damned smart conservators/collectors that I know and respect, would never render such nonsense.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    In short, there is no such thing as an expert in my small humble opinion. Some of the most enlightened, knowledgeable and damned smart conservators/collectors that I know and respect, would never render such nonsense.
    My thoughts exactly Theres always more to learn, and I'm glad to be a member on this site as every single day I learn a little bit more, as do all of the members

Thanks

Danny

its ok john im an expert too nobody scratches my ass like i can lol in every other aspect im still a learner

Good question JB, here's my h'apworth,

Most pretenders to the throne of expertise usually have a gift for the gab and slinging glossy turds designed specifically to bamboozle, befuddle, and cut off any deep inquiries into their depth of knowledge and in the field experience. They also get offended when you ask for proof they know what they are talking about.

Most real experts never get offended at such inquiries. They are, or at least should be, more than willing to offer proof of an in depth understanding of their field of knowledge.

Your first step then, should be to exude a healthy scepticism. Never be affraid to express doubt about an "expert's" credentials. If such doubts cannot be assuaged with convincing proof, or if your so called expert bullies you with his superiority, or demeans you in the slightest way for even questioning him, politely excuse yourself and part company. You need to search for another candidate, because regardless of their protestations, they are not what you are looking for to provide the elusive answer.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned
    Profound as ever, and eloquent furthermore

I only asked the question because I saw something the other day that made me laugh until I cried

"I'm not sure you realize that you are conversing with one of the foremost collectors in the country of SS regalia".

Now that was the funniest thing I have "heard" since the Captain of the Titanic said "What Iceberg"

P.S. Where have you been lately

An unusual statement indeed.

Being a pharmacist, I usually answer medical questions to which I am unclear of the answer with loads of big words and some latin phrases. This usually gets me a generous helping of 'ego' and results in a satisfied, if slightly confused, patient.

On the other hand, I have had call to do something I do not like doing just the other day. Putting an 'expert' down in public.

A lady comes into the pharmacy I am in and asks for some Sudafed. I hear the assistant ask if she has any tablets from her GP and she says she does....for high blood pressure. I intervene from the dispensary and tell the assistant she cannot use Sudafed when she has high BP. The lady looks at her in disgust and laughs, saying 'I'll just go to Tesco's and buy them. What a pathetic little insignificant shop' and goes to walk out.

I saw red

I went out and stopped her by asking her if she knew why she shouldn't be taking them. She turned as if I'd slapped her and said 'Are you talking to me ?'. 'Yes madam' I said and repeated the question. She gave me a stupid answer. 'Of course I know. I am very intelligent' and turned to walk out.

'Oh I do apologise. What kind of medical qualification or experience do you have'

'None at all'

'In which case you have just proved how unintelligent you are by ignoring the advice of a pharmacist with 20 years experience and who spent 4 years at university gaining a medical degree, based on the premise that you're 'intelligent'.'

She went bright red and went to reply, but unfortunately another patient who had been listening said 'Quite right!' and glared at her

I wasn't proud, but I was happy. Bloody expert !

Steve T

?

I think if your honest and know a little bit more on a subject than someone else, then you may be able to pass on a bit of info to someone else and increase their knowledge. If that person repects your opinion and you dont misrepresent then it's all good. I have a mate who does amateur plays and the like and he calls me his "resident German expert", I am no expert, but he has no knowledge of anything to do with the German Military so he asks my opinion as I have an interest in the subject. If I don't know the answer I research it, give him the details of where I got the info and let him make his own mind up. He recently asked me what the most common weapon a German Soldier may carry as there was going to be a German soldier in his play, I gave him some basic info on Kar 98 and MP 40, showed him pictures, he picked the one he liked and appreciated my input.

Quote by Steve T View Post
    An unusual statement indeed.

Being a pharmacist, I usually answer medical questions to which I am unclear of the answer with loads of big words and some latin phrases. This usually gets me a generous helping of 'ego' and results in a satisfied, if slightly confused, patient.

On the other hand, I have had call to do something I do not like doing just the other day. Putting an 'expert' down in public.

A lady comes into the pharmacy I am in and asks for some Sudafed. I hear the assistant ask if she has any tablets from her GP and she says she does....for high blood pressure. I intervene from the dispensary and tell the assistant she cannot use Sudafed when she has high BP. The lady looks at her in disgust and laughs, saying 'I'll just go to Tesco's and buy them. What a pathetic little insignificant shop' and goes to walk out.

I saw red

I went out and stopped her by asking her if she knew why she shouldn't be taking them. She turned as if I'd slapped her and said 'Are you talking to me ?'. 'Yes madam' I said and repeated the question. She gave me a stupid answer. 'Of course I know. I am very intelligent' and turned to walk out.

'Oh I do apologise. What kind of medical qualification or experience do you have'

'None at all'

'In which case you have just proved how unintelligent you are by ignoring the advice of a pharmacist with 20 years experience and who spent 4 years at university gaining a medical degree, based on the premise that you're 'intelligent'.'

She went bright red and went to reply, but unfortunately another patient who had been listening said 'Quite right!' and glared at her

I wasn't proud, but I was happy. Bloody expert !

Steve T
    oh well you did your best steve when she has an acute reaction and suffers the consequenses of her stupidity u can always smile and be happy in the knowledge that mrs brains has got the pains and maybe be more charming and defer to your wise counsel and experience

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Ned
    Profound as ever, and eloquent furthermore

I only asked the question because I saw something the other day that made me laugh until I cried

"I'm not sure you realize that you are conversing with one of the foremost collectors in the country of SS regalia".

Now that was the funniest thing I have "heard" since the Captain of the Titanic said "What Iceberg"

P.S. Where have you been lately
    john you gotta give me a link to that gem lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast