Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Democracy Freedom of speech good bad or ugly!

Article about: Guys, I was following a thread that just disappeared because I believe it was deemed not tasteful? I am a bit concerned that the link could not just have been provided without further discou

Default Democracy Freedom of speech good bad or ugly!

Guys,

I was following a thread that just disappeared because I believe it was deemed not tasteful?

I am a bit concerned that the link could not just have been provided without further discourse and that would have been the end of the matter.

I think it is unrealistic to persue our hobby completely divorced of everthing that transpired in the period 33-45.

It is all inextricably linked and to deny that is also just wrong.

Bad things happened!

I did not see any axe to be ground, just an information request and when we start with that sort of censorship where does it end, in black uniforms?

Just my two bob on a subject that many have died for so that we can say and ask what we want even if it makes you look a twat.

Jock

PS. I am aware I may now look a twat!

?

Default Re: Democracy Freedom of speech good bad or ugly!

Jock let it go mate , this thread and discussion doesn't belong here , it's not what this forum is about , there are other forums where this sort of thing can be be debated until the enth degree and the mud slinging and name calling can start,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Jock, in addition to what Paul has said and in which I am in total agreement.

A member trying to bring up an old thread which was removed many months ago due to previous problems will only end up in tears.

I have been involved on forums for 10 years now at Moderator level or above. And in all that time I have never seen any good come out of discussions of this nature. They always end up the same way. They might start off OK, then someone will come along and say something objectionable and trouble will ensue. While the forum members here are of a generally very high calibre, I just don't want the forum to go the way of others. By keeping discussions to militaria alone we ensure good forum order and a friendly polite tone.

Any mature and sensible collector must always remember the background to what we collect and what it represents. Both good and bad. Valour and horror.

I, like you, hold very dear the ideals to which our servicemen gave their lives. But this venue has to remain free of discussions of this nature. Plenty of other places to talk this kind of thing.

Thanks for understanding.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade, Paul,

I have had a couple of days to think about it so this is not a rash decision.
    You are of course correct if that is what this site is about.
    If actual filmed events of the war are above disscusion on the grounds that an expert in a narrow area says so and you dare not offend then please as you have in the past for other ex-members, remove my existance from this forum.
    As you point out in a previous post I do retain the copyright of my stuff so please delete it.
    I do not wish to be and can not be a part of any form of cencorship, if it can not be discussed and if a case to answer with an event/individual, shown for what it/they are then there really is no point to the sacrifice of our forefathers.
    You are damn right I feel strongly about it!
    To that end I will take me leave and no doubt leave you with Kimmel etc, I'm sure he has a book to sell or a ghost to bust.

All the best to honest collectors.

jockauld@hotmail.com

Take care Jock, i see where your coming from on this and admire your opinion and stance on the arbitrary and selective censorship that has been applied here on many other less potentially inflammatory subjects. There is little consistency in this, and as members here we are all equal...Only some are more equal than others sometimes. I reiterate, this is not just about the deleted thread, but also p.m's from mod's which have crossed barriers of a persons right to conduct their day to day personal affairs, and that is wrong.

I'll see you round Jock, gonna miss your posts of weekend finds, i really looked forward to them. I salute you mate with the old Scottish battle cry. 'Fochinell!!'

Kindest regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Be carefull Ned or you may join me! Freedom of thought and all that!

Jock

I also see where you are coming from Jock, but I don't know of a single forum that doesnt have an negative aspects to it, such a forum doesnt exist in my personal opinion.

All the best with whatever you do and take care

Thanks

Danny

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    I also see where you are coming from Jock, but I don't know of a single forum that doesnt have an negative aspects to it, such a forum doesnt exist in my personal opinion.

All the best with whatever you do and take care

Thanks

Danny
    Danny,

The clue is in the title good, bad or ugly! That is what they died for, so we can discuss what we want even if it gets a bit Eastenders or Corrie. That is part of the fun of living in a free state!

Now you got me sounding like an extremist, I promise I won't explode though!

Jock

I wouldnt exactly call it being extremist, and I do agree with what you say however I'm going to play by the rules on here. In real life I'm Danny McGurk, but on here I'm just a username with a person behind it that no one here really knows.

Thanks

Danny

?

Jock we certainly don't want to loose a valued member such as you especially over an issue like this and we are not in any way saying that your point is not valid.

No one is trying to censor anything to do with the history of WW2 either the good or the bad of which most people have a certain amount of knowledge or prevent freedom of thought , all we are trying to do is stop the threads that lead into name calling, mud slinging and worse. Many other forums are blighted by such discussions as tempers and opinions can run very high very quickly as the membership comes from all creeds and backgrounds. These threads are invariably closed and or deleted as a sensible informed socialable discussion just cannot take place.

As this forum is primarily is about the collecting of Militaria without ignoring the period of history that spawned our collecting interest we try to avoid the sort of unpleasantness that these discussions lead too.

We would all be very disappointed if you left but the decision is your,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast