Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

does the price tag on an item bother you?

Article about: Many thanks guys for your input......I think the route of my issues lies with starting out way to late in life.when i hear stories of members collecting for 30 years or so and what prices th

Default Re: does the price tag on an item bother you?

Many thanks guys for your input......I think the route of my issues lies with starting out way to late in life.when i hear stories of members collecting for 30 years or so and what prices they paid and so much less competition and so much more choice (and less fakes too) I feel a bit annoyed that in this day and age the race and pace of it all,plus all the films and mini-series and so on,the price of certain items just makes me wanna scream.I want what others want but cannot have due to the financial cost and family commitment,I always buy low end gear which wont give me any return on what iv'e spent out so is it really worth the hassle to collect?I know its still fun but maybe jealousy plays its part to a certain degree...........Jake.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Many thanks guys for your input......I think the route of my issues lies with starting out way to late in life.when i hear stories of members collecting for 30 years or so and what prices they paid and so much less competition and so much more choice (and less fakes too) I feel a bit annoyed that in this day and age the race and pace of it all,plus all the films and mini-series and so on,the price of certain items just makes me wanna scream.I want what others want but cannot have due to the financial cost and family commitment,I always buy low end gear which wont give me any return on what iv'e spent out so is it really worth the hassle to collect?I know its still fun but maybe jealousy plays its part to a certain degree...........Jake.
    Hi Jake. As a uni student i dont have the best income and i would love a complete original german helmet. Because i cannot warrant spending all that money outright, i have started collecting relics. Lovely helmets and i love having them however there is a hope that one day i will have enough to sell them to buy that complete helmet i have always wanted. What you need to remember is that any piece of militaria is still a piece of history, no matter how big or small

I will always do research for a helmet I am interested in, for the last number of years I have always had my phone handy and hit the internet to research it on the spot. I have yet to really overpay and I find the people I deal with are usually willing to negotiate the price if you treat them kindly.

If someone is trying to rush you into a high priced purchase I'd bet the lid is a hot mess and soon you will be the next in line with a piece of junk- remember there is always more of these things out there- just do your homework and purchase at your comfort level.

Good luck!

Also remember the jealous collecting is going to get you into a rush purchase, even if you buy a sweet legit lid it just one piece compared to a collector of 30 years! Just collect what you like for you- and "appreciate" the collections of others rather than being envious- in 30 years new collectors will look at your collection in appreciation- such is life, just enjoy the hobby and know every piece you do acquire is piece of history in it's own right- common or rare.

Just enjoy it rather than be envious and it's a lot more fun.

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Jake, don't forget to collect what YOU like and YOU like alone. It isn't a competition and there are no prizes for getting the rare or valuable, it's what YOU like and what YOU can afford.

Sure, it would've been good to collect years ago when the prices were more favourable but those times are now gone and there is nothing we can do about it. Never worry about things you can't do anything about. Collect what is here and now and what floats your boat.
    Some members might have wow fab and whizzy shiny helmets but that doesn't mean you have to keep up with them. Some members may have hundreds of a certain type of awards and all the variations but doesn't mean you have to collect them too or all at once. Enjoy what you collects and take your time to enjoy your hobby.

Prices are always rising too. What might be frustrating for you today to pay a grand for, may well be frustrating for some one 30 years down the road to think "Wow! At one time, guys could buy those for a Grand! Lucky snots!" Not to mention too, that money was quite different back in those days than it is today. Sure, we could find a black SS officers cap for, say, $75 bucks, but keep in mind, we also used to pull up to the gas pump and tell the Attendant(find a full service station Today!) and say "2 bucks of Ethel" and then drive the rest of the week on it. So, big prices of Today could well be the Bargain of tomorrow!

As has been said, though, collect what you Enjoy! Otherwise, you may as well take a shot at the Stock Market or buy Bonds. It's the fun of holding a piece of History in your Hand and thinking of where it's been and what it's seen that makes the hobby great. Remember, the Smithsonian started out with a single piece....No one begins with a complete set-what would the fun be with that? The research...the Hunt....meeting others of a like mind....the History! That's collecting!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Think Adrian has summed it up,the point about what I like I will collect and dont care what others truely think,its my collection and im the one who will see it everyday,im feeling better already thanks to everyones input it has all been taken on board,you guys are the best........Jake.

Alot of great replies here and I agree with all of them, for me it seems that the items I purchase always even out in price at the end of the day, for instance I may get a piece that is 100 dollars lower then the average, then down the road I may find a must have piece that is 100 more then the average, you will always find great deals and some not so great deals, but in long term I usually break even on cost, so think long term investment, kind of like a good 401k, then sit back and watch the value slowly rise

If I see something that interests me I will normally have a set limit as to how much I will let myself pay. But if I am unsure of the value I will do some research to get a good idea as to what would price to pay is. It took time until I stopped impulse buying without research but now if I have any questions I always look it up. As maximus71 said all you have to do is try to buy low and wait as value of purchased items goes up.

I just cannot see the collosal prices that are asked these days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast