Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Donate Your Collection Two!!

Article about: Following up on the thread "Donate Your Collection" it seems this is a scam which has even found its way onto eBay!! Recently i listed an item from an RAF Tornado lost during the 1

Default Donate Your Collection Two!!

Following up on the thread "Donate Your Collection" it seems this is a scam which has even found its way onto eBay!! Recently i listed an item from an RAF Tornado lost during the 1991 Gulf War and repatriated from the Iraqis in 2003 after the invasion. Now this geezer messages me explaining that hes ex Police/Firefighter and running a campaign for Help for Heroes fund and that my item would make a cracking good display piece for their fund raising and would i consider donating it to him. Well, as far as i was concerned i had no proof he was who he was saying he was even though he left a mobile number, that counts for nothing at all in my book. I scrubbed the message and didnt even reply to it as it was so obviously a poor effort at scamming someone who knows how these idiots work. I would have reported him if he had contacted me again but he probably thought hed try same with some other person. I think he was one of these who try and prey on your conscience as in the photo showing the item my hand and my Help For Heroes wristband was clearly visible and that i think was what prompted him to try me. I think if i were ever to donate anything it would only be after my kids had been through and taken what they wanted and anything left would be offered to other collectors or museums as i dont like the way dealers work and would rather a fellow collector have things instead. Either way its surprising how some people fall victim to the scammers particularly old people who may not be aware of the little gold mine they are sitting in in the form of SS items etc taken as souvenirs during their wartime service. There are probably genuine guys out there with such intentions as those mentioned in the other thread, but i wouldnt get involved in it as how can you be 100% sure he then doesnt flog the stuff off for a tidy profit? Regards, Tim.

Default Re: Donate Your Collection Two!!

I agree with you, Tim !

There should be monetary transactions for these souvenir items,
    and not simple donations to 'interested individuals'.

I know of a museum placing advertisements in the newspaper, asking for
    donations of militaria from local Veterans and/or their families.

Although one really is free to ask - good intentions or not - I think
    it is extremely bold and rather callous.........
    Regards,

Steve.

ww2fotos
    ?

I knew a Big Red One vet a few years back. He had some Nazi items. I should have asked him to sell, but he hinted he would not part with them. So when he dies, I ask his widow if she wants to sell the stuff. She said he donated it to a Museum of WW 2, in PA. (he lived in NY) I go there, his flag, etc. are not on display. I ask employee why? He indicated they no longer had it. He donated, they sold! GGRRRRRR!!!

Another thing, not to badger the WWII museum in New Orleans, but they have like around 100,000 pieces from WWII, and they can only display like 10% of the pieces.

Just because you donate stuff to a museum doesn't mean they will get displayed. (as most people think)

Don't get me wrong, museums are great. I think it better to lend it to the museum then to donate it.

WW2foto,
    That first thing i herd museum selling the stuff like that right off the bat. usually sits awhile then they sell it, if they need the money.

?

Quote by ww2fotos View Post
    I knew a Big Red One vet a few years back. He had some Nazi items. I should have asked him to sell, but he hinted he would not part with them. So when he dies, I ask his widow if she wants to sell the stuff. She said he donated it to a Museum of WW 2, in PA. (he lived in NY) I go there, his flag, etc. are not on display. I ask employee why? He indicated they no longer had it. He donated, they sold! GGRRRRRR!!!
    that's a shame, it ruins the purpose of the donation

Thats a real shame that museums do such things, you know, just for the respect of the donors and veterans. I think that when I/ if someone is going to doante something to a museum, It should be a smaller, up and coming one...where the museum owners are sure to fully appreciate it, and they will most likely be displayed

Quote by Rommel1942 View Post
    Thats a real shame that museums do such things, you know, just for the respect of the donors and veterans. I think that when I/ if someone is going to doante something to a museum, It should be a smaller, up and coming one...where the museum owners are sure to fully appreciate it, and they will most likely be displayed
    Some good points there guys! Some of us do have items which are historically significant and ive made sure the wife knows what items i have are of value etc so in the event i bite the dust early she wont get caught out. I have a lot of Iraqi paperwork from 91 Gulf War which i think i will leave to the Imperial War Museum even though i have given them copies of the paperwork. On the other hand my friend who collects says "No way am i leaving my stuff to any museum" and his instructions are its all going to auction house and funds raised go to his kids. This could drive you mad thinking about all day lol!