Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Early or late WWII items?

Article about: I prefer the earlier items, not to say I won't buy later items though! I like the wear they usually show and prefer things to show some age. I started collecting knowing that I was holding s

Of course, goes without saying. I just feel everyone understood what it was about, I did because I've seen the OP's threads on ww2 which seems to be his focus --- no inbuilt arrogance here.

Sorry about the OT.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Obviously you were asking about WWII items, but please in future if you are posting in the discussions section which covers all periods on the forum try and be more specific in your title, as WWII is not the only war covered here. I have edited it for you.
    Ok thanks for that Jerry

1939-1940 is early war and 44-45 is late war i think that this is common for everyone when we talk about world war 2

Perhaps my own interests do not fit in with the majority here, but in Britain at this time the anniversary of the start of the Great war 100 years ago is the war that is getting all the coverage and therefore the assumption that the war is automatically WWII does not sit well with me and many other collectors I know.

I'd still like to see how exactly the terms early, mid and late are defined. As I mentioned, the US did not join the war until December 1941 and did not participate until some time in 42 with operation Torch in the war against Germany, so is early 41 to 42, mid 43 to 44 and late 44 to 45, or would you define it for them as Pearl harbour to oeration torch, then torch to dday or what? Even with the Germans, when did early start and mid begin, pre war to the invasion of France, but what about the flower wars, the variables are endless. Again for any Soviet collectors, is early pre barbarosa, or pre Kursk?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Perhaps my own interests do not fit in with the majority here, but in Britain at this time the anniversary of the start of the Great war 100 years ago is the war that is getting all the coverage and therefore the assumption that the war is automatically WWII does not sit well with me and many other collectors I know.

I'd still like to see how exactly the terms early, mid and late are defined. As I mentioned, the US did not join the war until December 1941 and did not participate until some time in 42 with operation Torch in the war against Germany, so is early 41 to 42, mid 43 to 44 and late 44 to 45, or would you define it for them as Pearl harbour to oeration torch, then torch to dday or what? Even with the Germans, when did early start and mid begin, pre war to the invasion of France, but what about the flower wars, the variables are endless. Again for any Soviet collectors, is early pre barbarosa, or pre Kursk?
    I think that this was not what the thread was all about Jerry it is just a simple question dont get stuck in such details

Quote by GreekMilitaria View Post
    1939-1940 is early war and 44-45 is late war i think that this is common for everyone when we talk about world war 2
    But only from a British or German viewpoint, but it is your thread and all I wanted was clarity, so thanks for providing it.

I'll now crawl back into my hole and leave you all to it. If I pissed anyone off, that was my intention.
    Regards,

Jerry

Does it really have to be that complicated in a thread like this? I get what you're saying but it seems, to me at least, that most posting, regardless of nationality, in this thread considered the typical '39-'45 timeframe. I'm from Norway and we didn't get involved until 1940 but I still see ww2 as a conflict with its jumping off point in 1939 and ending in 1945.

But only from a British or German viewpoint, but it is your thread and all I wanted was clarity, so thanks for providing it.

I'll now crawl back into my hole and leave you all to it. If I pissed anyone off, that was my intention.
    Sorry Jerry but why do you want to piss members off?

Quote by GreekMilitaria View Post
    Sorry Jerry but why do you want to piss members off?
    You obviously did not get it as it was intended.
    Regards,

Jerry

I prefer early-mid war period items, mainly mid war though. No specific reason, it's just that the majority of my collection happens to be in that area. A lot of this is also quite worn and that's what I usually go for. To see that the item has been in use and most likely in combat makes it more historical I think. For example I'd rather take a rusty old bayonet or helmet than a seemingly brand new one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast