Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ebay withdraws holocaust items

Article about: Not sure if this has been posted yet. BBC News - EBay removes Holocaust memorabilia listings My wife is of Jewish parentage on her fathers side and she sees no problem with this type of mate

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Just watch television for abit, and you'll soon know what they think of Any collectors of Anything. You always see collectors ridiculed, mocked and sneered at-whether it's nostalgic items like 1930's comic books or militaria. Everyone who does so is weird,goony and stupidly childish according to the genius's with their texting devices stuck on the ends of their noses and twiddling their thumbs inanely at it for hours on end. It's a strangely sad thing to see families sitting at tables in restaurants not saying a single word to each other but pecking industriously away at their little hand held devices.

I've never agreed with the oft-stated concept that all relics belong Only in museums. Privately owned items, in my opinion, help the memories and knowledge of the occurrences reach and stay With the people. Very few people collect something that they have never read about or learned anything concerning it. Seeing something in a museum's glass case is fine, but to actually Hold a historic object in your hand is a whole different thing again. For me, at least, it brings History to the People where it will Be remembered and known. As it Should be.
    Sadly, all too often, donated items spend the duration of their existence locked away in museum store rooms - never to be seen, discussed or appreciated. Its hard for such a reminder to stimulate a person into conscious thought when that item is hidden in the dark.
    Experienced guide and published author leading detailed study trips to the former KZ sites of Nazi Germany. Contact for further details.

www.concentrationcamptours.com

www.concentrationcampmoney.com

"maka akaŋl oyate maŋi pi ki le, tuweŋi wypeya oki hi sni"

...and sadly many more items spend their days hidden our private attic museums, garages, spare bedrooms bedrooms! Hardly accessible to all?

Museums have rotating exhibitions and researchers can gain and do get access to museum collections not generally on public display all of the time, but why would we expect everything to be displayed all of the time? I have had access to many historical artifacts and documents that were not on public display in the course of book research.

I doubt there are many "home museums" where every item in ones collection is out on display all of the time even for an audience of one (and maybe one or two of our interested friends).
    Last edited by StefanM; 11-04-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Though of course most of us post our collections online where they can be seen by who knows how many people for all time -or as long as such media survives-, which perhaps is better than sitting in a museum store or locked away in our spare rooms etc...

Museums are great places but in many cases they have too much to display and a lot of what we as collectors prize would not get to the display cabinet anyway.

Glad to see a lot of sensible posts on this subject as it could have turned into something else.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Glad to see a lot of sensible posts on this subject as it could have turned into something else.
    I agree Jerry, threads of this nature can so easily run off track. Credit to those who have posted thus far.
    Experienced guide and published author leading detailed study trips to the former KZ sites of Nazi Germany. Contact for further details.

www.concentrationcamptours.com

www.concentrationcampmoney.com

"maka akaŋl oyate maŋi pi ki le, tuweŋi wypeya oki hi sni"

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Let's not kid ourselves here, everything we collectors collect is collected for a stupid reason... and especially so to someone that doesn't collect
    Well by stupid reasons i was reffering to moronic people who hold ridicolous views about denial of a certain historial event, those views along with the political and social ones that go along with it.
    Im looking for an a case to an 1936 olympics medal and a case to entry to austria medal. pm me If you have any spare.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Though of course most of us post our collections online where they can be seen by who knows how many people for all time -or as long as such media survives-, which perhaps is better than sitting in a museum store or locked away in our spare rooms etc...

Museums are great places but in many cases they have too much to display and a lot of what we as collectors prize would not get to the display cabinet anyway.

To me there is an immeasurable difference between the collections held and displayed by museums than those collections we here collect, at the simplest one is in the national interest available to all and the other satisfies our own entirely selfish desires of ownership shared only by our individual whims.

Very true, But...take the Smithsonian, for example, it has many Thousands of items and collections in it's possession that it no longer even has paper work for and in countless cases, it doesn't even know anymore just what all it even Has, tucked away and squirreled in it's many warehouses and cellars and subcellars. At one time, it was the fashion to donate your collections and treasures to the Smithsonian in your Will. The British Museum is in the same order. It, too, has Far more items in it's possession that cannot be disposed of that it cannot Possibly display-even if it actually Knew what all it even Had. Items from all over the World, long tucked away and forgotten. I don't imagine the donors of these long vanished treasures would have considered donating them if they had known they would end up turning to dust and crumbs nailed inside some old crusty wood crate in a warehouse somewhere. It's just my opinion, of course, but I believe these items would be far better off in private collectors hands being preserved and studied. For every item you see in a museum's glass case, there are legions of others that you do Not see and may well likely Never see.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Very true, But...take the Smithsonian, for example, it has many Thousands of items and collections in it's possession that it no longer even has paper work for and in countless cases, it doesn't even know anymore just what all it even Has, tucked away and squirreled in it's many warehouses and cellars and subcellars. At one time, it was the fashion to donate your collections and treasures to the Smithsonian in your Will. The British Museum is in the same order. It, too, has Far more items in it's possession that cannot be disposed of that it cannot Possibly display-even if it actually Knew what all it even Had. Items from all over the World, long tucked away and forgotten. I don't imagine the donors of these long vanished treasures would have considered donating them if they had known they would end up turning to dust and crumbs nailed inside some old crusty wood crate in a warehouse somewhere. It's just my opinion, of course, but I believe these items would be far better off in private collectors hands being preserved and studied. For every item you see in a museum's glass case, there are legions of others that you do Not see and may well likely Never see.
    Indeed, in my own experience as an archaeologist I know that 1000's of items from excavations are stored away never to be seen with only the very view of the highest order ever being displayed. Often on excavations items are counted and otherwise catergorised but then discarded and off course as mentioned above many have been in store for so long that they have forever been lost to time. Sometimes older items are found again, I know of one instance where some gold pins from the handle of a bronze age dagger were found in a desk drawer, but this is a rarity and most just vanish or moulder or crumble or rot or rust away to nothing.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Of course, as has been pointed out, archaeological excavations must often include many artifacts that are unlikely to ever to see the light of day on general exhibition such is the nature of curated museum collections, the limitations of museum space and the mundane or commonplace aspects of some of the artifacts recovered.

But to equate the viewing of elements in our private collections online with a curated museum display is nonsensical IMO. For a start the forum images are most often just photos of part of a collection of "things" or just a "thing" with no accompanying academic research to provide any context for the "uneducated" online viewer, if education is the purpose of posting here. Unlike, for example, the online collection of the Imperial War Museum, and other national museums which have part of an online collection available, most posts on here are for either confirming that our own collections are worthy of collecting in the first place or sharing collecting knowledge to help fellow collectors collect.

I understand perfectly that many private collectors see their hobby as some kind of personal crusade to save history, preserve knowledge, etc but the key word in this is "private" and the rest is self-delusion. We collect whatever we do for our private edification and delight not for the benefit of other people although we may sometimes show off our collections to the chosen few on here, but this is at our personal behest.

Most of the national museums recognise the issue of donation hoards and have collection/donation policies in place that clearly state what the institution wants or is willing to add to its collection to stop unwanted donations being sent/accepted. Many also, if their organisations constitution permits it, sell-off unwanted artifacts and materials to help fund the running of the museum or the purchase of more relevant items to its collections policy. Museums are about the preservation of cultural history and education through its collections, they are not about collecting.

Ebay didn't ban the auction of one of the original typescript copies of "Schindlers List" in July 2013...how things change in a couple of months!

Schindler's List Fails To Sell On eBay Auction

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast