Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ebay withdraws holocaust items

Article about: Not sure if this has been posted yet. BBC News - EBay removes Holocaust memorabilia listings My wife is of Jewish parentage on her fathers side and she sees no problem with this type of mate

Default Ebay withdraws holocaust items

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

BBC News - EBay removes Holocaust memorabilia listings

My wife is of Jewish parentage on her fathers side and she sees no problem with this type of material being for sale and residing in private collections.

There are links at the bottom of the BBC item to other sites also running this story.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Not the kind of stuff i'd want to have but each to their own.
    A great pity that ebay wont remove blatant fakes for sale when it's pointed out to them!..

Nice to see the media focusing and spending their resources on the things that really matter nowadays...

Indeed Paul, not something I would collect, but in the same way as people like to buy bullet holed relic helmets or WWI Death Plaques, or whatever it is, we are collecting items that many of them will have a dark history and as long as we collect and remember the history that goes with the items, it is probably not a bad thing. Who decides what is acceptable to collect and what is not is certainly not my decision and my wife would find such items an intimate connection to this dark past about which she is greatly interested and has a personal involvement with, bearing in mind she would have lost distant relations in the Holocaust.

As long as collectors place the items in their proper historical perspective and do not glamourise their previous owners when they might have been involved in this dark past, then it is acceptable to collect such items as these and indeed from the SS in general or the Heer or whatever, even the Soviets or the Japanese, all of whom would have been involved in actions of a similar nature.

My wife finds anything SS or with the Swaztika or even German helmets to be evocative of that dark period and finds them very disturbing, but she sees no problems with collectors of holocaust material as long as they understand its meaning and respect the sufferings of those on the wrong side of those dark days. Anyone who collects any such items and glorifies in them should not own them, but if they keep them as a reminder of those dark days and shows them the proper respect, then there is no problem in her eyes. Sorry but a lot of this is in my words and I have probably not expressed her feelings and thoughts as well as she would have.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Good post Jerry, My missus too has some Jewish blood and sees nothing wrong with me collecting TR items, she knows i aint some far right nutter and just regards it as history. Like i said earlier i'd feel very uncomfortable owning holocaust related items, but if others want to collect it fine by me!..

I agree with you boys, I don't want hollocaust items or battle damaged items etc... But each to their own. I collect, among other things, nsdap party badges which represent everything that the nazis stood for so who am I to judge. I am also bloody glad that they were beaten too, they committed some hideous acts and certainly had plenty more planned for when they won.

Whatever the morality of trading in Holocaust related artifacts this is great news! A whole bunch of fake armbands, jackets and supposed Holocaust artifacts with fantasy histories removed from sale

Now I wonder what artifacts Ebay will consider as Holocaust related? What about an Arbeitskarte, or Ausweis or passport stamped with a "J" or maybe a "P" for a Pole?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

I don't think E-bay withdrew the Holocaust items as a matter of consciousness, they most probably accepted their lawyers descision that this would be the cheapest way of holding off law suits, and in the balance, loss of "earnings" would easily out weigh a "push button" ban.

I will not and have never sold anything to do with the concentration camps out of a matter of principle, but the seller, a Ukrainian man in Canada, named as Viktor Kempf will have all the publicity he could ever wish for, no doubt he will sell lots off line now.

?

I had many family members who were in concentration camps, my grandmother was liberated from Auschwitz. I'm on the fence on this one mainly because eBay doesn't seem to follow it's own rules so I can just imagine how this will end. I don't have an issue with people selling the items, I take issue with if I'm selling pretty much the same item as someone else, why is mine pulled off and the other isn't.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast