Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

to electrolysis or not to electrolysis?

Article about: Hey guys, I'm new to this thread and I'm seriously debating wether to use electrolysis(Sp?) on a relic or not. What would be the harm in doing it? What would be the benefit? Last November I

Default to electrolysis or not to electrolysis?

Hey guys,

I'm new to this thread and I'm seriously debating wether to use electrolysis(Sp?)
    on a relic or not. What would be the harm in doing it? What would be the benefit?

Last November I found a Mk4 Canadian bayonet for a Lee-enfield and it's in "good"
    condition in my opinion. I want to see if it's possible to see if any markings or
    stamps are on it. Would electrolysis reveal any serial numbers or markings or
    erase them?

Would it decrease or increase the sentimental value of an object?
    How about the monetary value?

Personally? I'm leaning to leaving it alone. It took 60 years for it to develope the
    "crustations".
    Plus, it is technically a weapon and to remove the cover of rust and buildup would
    make it liable to confiscation or even destruction.

Not only that, but I have the trigger mechanism for a m-1 garand that....I just don't know...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: to electrolysis or not to electrolysis?

I would try it, it couldn't hurt.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Hi, nice relic enfield pig sticker, they are a very common bayonet to find or even buy, but as this one is in relic condition i think it should be left as it is. most us have relic war items but you will find that they are left alone in that condition, Im not sure of what country you are from but it is legal to own bayonets and other weapons, in the U.k, you can own them but not to take out into the streets. most of us have many bayonets in our collections, I would keep both items together as relics they are a great talking point.
    dave.

If You want to see stamps clean with elecrolysis, it is the best method of cleaning for good condition relics without color and bluing. But You also can keep as it is, but rust from bayonet will be flaking off slowly.

Regards,
    Andris

Thanks for the input guys!

I welcome any an all opinions!