MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Is this an English language forum?

Article about: Unfortunately the Irish language is dieing out because of lazyness. I live in one of the very few Gaeltacht areas where most things are done through Gaeilge. But with a lot turrism from Brit

Default Re: Is this an English language forum?

And if I may add...those of us here who are bi-lingual (and there are many) are always willing to step in and assist where we can...
    Glenn

The translation of any language to another takes 5 minutes with any online translator. One language to another isn't really an issue for me, but some of the spelling and grammar used by native English speakers is sometimes so bad that I wish there was an online translator for that to !!

The use of a punctuation mark here and there goes a long way to making an unreadable thread, readable!

Quote by Steve T View Post
    The translation of any language to another takes 5 minutes with any online translator. One language to another isn't really an issue for me, but some of the spelling and grammar used by native English speakers is sometimes so bad that I wish there was an online translator for that to !!

The use of a punctuation mark here and there goes a long way to making an unreadable thread, readable!

I hate to be a spelling Nazi, but the use of "to" at the end of your first paragraph is incorrect and you should have used "too", meaning also.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2d53a3381573dbe9e8443476e1e160467.jpgDer Vierjahresplan 1944 03 15 nr 03.jpgkleider_6.jpgasset-2.jpgelite-volk-und-fuehrer_9783486709360.jpgIMG00350-20120630-0953.jpgphoto-12.JPG11439289.jpgSchalksnarr.jpg
    Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The forum is English language, however, we have made a conscious effort here to try and raise collectors standards when it comes to collecting German militaria. As a result we are trying to use the correct German wartime terminology when it comes to awards, headgear and daggers. This is not a new thing and has been ongoing now for years. If one to collect these things and understand them, I think it is important to use the original given names for them.

I truly despise the dreadful collector names applied to some items with the use of initials instead of the correct names.

The whole point of this forum is to inform and educate.

When the item is already shown in pictures, there is honestly little or no need for it to be described in English too. In this day and age, it takes just a few mins to research an item or even a full conversation online whatever language it is in care of Google translate.

I have watched people learn on the forum through this process and I think it is great sucess.

Cheers, Ade.
    I strongly associate myself with the above. If you collect German militaria, a successful collector should make an effort to learn terms in the language.
    The English language collector argot is misleading and imprecise, i.e. "wrapper" for Panzerfeldjacke and so forth.
    We do have persons here who make a huge effort to translate material, but sometimes such is not practical in all cases.
    In any case, I find the description of this site as "an official English language website," when it is plainly international, to be more than curious and unhelpful, especially in those cases where the burden of knowledge is borne by really very few.
    You people constantly ask for my help, and I make a pretty rigorous distinction between serious collectors and the poseur/waster of time and blow hard.
    The latter are the ones who are unnerved by foreign languages.

- - Updated - -

Quote by Steve T View Post

A very salient and well made point, indeed.

Doesn't Google Chrome give the option to translate a website in a foreign language into your own language.....

?

Interesting thread. I still can't understand why some collectors who collect items from another nation don't like to or don't want to bother using the correct terminology for their items.
    Why do you want to change the name into English or whatever language? Do you translate my name into your native tongue, would you find it acceptable if I was to call you Francis instead of Franz? William instead of Guillaume?

At least if you do use the correct names and use them consistently you will find things easier when you search. You will get more results for Panzerkampfabzeichen than you will for PKA, TAB, Tank Badge, Tank Battle Badge or whatever combination of the previous you choose.

I don't get why the 'easy' option is always taken. Why not actually take the chance to learn, expand your knowledge. Why the arrogance to expect everything to be made easy for you, German badges have German names, they were made in Germany. Russian badges have Russian names, they were made in Russia. English badges have English names - you get the idea.

Quit the lazy culture and actually get learning, it's not hard!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Simon, it does indeed.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi FB, thanks for your input here.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Please spare a thought for those of us trying to learn Russian! Germans seems easy in comparison.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Can you gentlemen imagine how it is when your native language is Dutch (or better said Flemish)?
    I live 30 km north from the French speaking part of Belgium, about 60 km south from The Netherlands where they speak Dutch (another kind of Flemish), when we drive 120 km east to Germany we have to speak German and when we go 150 km west and cross the channel we're in England where they speak English (is not the same as American)...
    The only problem is that when we go over there, we have to adapt to their language, but when they come over to us we still have to adapt... It's a strange world...
    So, I think that everybody has to make a little effort and then we'll just get along fine...

With kind regards, met vriendelijke groeten, bien a vous, mit freundliche Grüße

Adler

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Simon, it does indeed.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi FB, thanks for your input here.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Please spare a thought for those of us trying to learn Russian! Germans seems easy in comparison.

Or Estonian !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I thought, Wolfslair already Was bi-lingual....he speaks English and he speaks Australian...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast