Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Is this an English language forum?

Article about: Unfortunately the Irish language is dieing out because of lazyness. I live in one of the very few Gaeltacht areas where most things are done through Gaeilge. But with a lot turrism from Brit

Default Is this an English language forum?

Many of us forum members would like to know if this is an official English language forum.
    If so, then could members please try and make addition an English translation to all German - so as us non bi-lingual can understand.
    Thanking you all in advance

Default Re: Is this an English language forum?

Your question has been moved to the Discussions Forum which is a more logical repository. As this Forum deals with militaria from many different countries, I do not think adding translation to one language outside of English is practical.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Most people who do not speak english use google translate or something of the sort, it generally gives us a vague idea of what is going on, enough to communicate at least. I've seen discussions pop up in other languages in rare instances where a person's english may not have been good, so they explained in their native tongue in hopes of someone understanding.

Nitram

As he is in Australia, I wonder if he wanted the German terms translated into English, rather than the other war around? I think this thread started in the German medals and awards section, which has all the items auto translated into German? Just a thought.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The forum is English language, however, we have made a conscious effort here to try and raise collectors standards when it comes to collecting German militaria. As a result we are trying to use the correct German wartime terminology when it comes to awards, headgear and daggers. This is not a new thing and has been ongoing now for years. If one to collect these things and understand them, I think it is important to use the original given names for them.

I truly despise the dreadful collector names applied to some items with the use of initials instead of the correct names.

The whole point of this forum is to inform and educate.

When the item is already shown in pictures, there is honestly little or no need for it to be described in English too. In this day and age, it takes just a few mins to research an item or even a full conversation online whatever language it is in care of Google translate.

I have watched people learn on the forum through this process and I think it is great sucess.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

i can only say that using the german names and terms makes it very difficult for some people. not every one is a hard core collector of badges for example. especially american collectors that i know only use english terms such as iron cross or pilots badge. i mean no disrespect to those who prefer the german terms. but some of us just dont. for many people just starting out especially dont know the german terms, and if they search the net for information it will be in more basic english terms. thats just my experence. hopefully i wont bother any one to much if i stick with english. i have enough trouble with that, let alone trying to add another language. perhaps i'm just a bit thick.

Hi Andrew, we do have a pinned thread with all the names of awards in German to English.

I have just bumped it back to the top. People often miss these pinned threads for some unknown reason?

I am a great believer in "leading a horse to water"

You are modest: I know you aren't thick

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

What Ade is pointing out is that by learning the German names for awards it improves a collectors knowledge and understanding and the forum aims to educate in all aspects of the hobby !!

Not just for awards if one becomes involved in collecting photographs or documents learning some German terminology has got to be part of the hobby to understand what the document actually says and make it easier to prevent yourself getting caught out by the fakes as many of the fakers have a limited knowledge of German and make mistakes !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

rcs
    ?

For someone like myself who had no real idea about German decorations before i joined this forum, i really rather enjoy the fact of being able to learn the correct names for these things.

regards,
    Rob

?

Here is the link , Adrian has done all the hard work for you !!

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...nology-137343/
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast