Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Fakes.

Article about: Hello All, Can one of the more experienced members than myself recommend a way of identifying fakes? Medals are a very small part of my collection at present but I've started buying some to

Default Fakes.

Hello All,
    Can one of the more experienced members than myself recommend a way of identifying fakes? Medals are a very small part of my collection at present but I've started buying some to add to various groups of exhibits in order to add a little something which relates to that particular group.
    It's thanks to this and another forum that I've discovered a substantial number of my items are fakes/copies. The firm, (with whom I have spent a considerable amount of money over the years), rarely describe their wares as such, so inexperienced people like myself can be easily deceived. Words like "ordanance marked", "pattern", and, "display", I have now learned to avoid like the plague, and I've had to re-catalogue a lot of pieces as copies.
    I'll attach pics to illustrate some medals I have. I've been told that the Iron Cross, War Merit Cross, Eastern Front, and Vietnam medals are fakes. I can't think that faking the Defence and Commonwealth ones would be worth copying but now I'm suspicious of those as well?
    I've been advised not to mention the firm in questions' name for legal reasons but am sure others will recognise this type of sales pitch.
    Can anyone re-educate me, or perhaps start a thread called something like "beware of these"!
    Many thanks in anticipation,
    navyman.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Fakes.

Sorry All,
    This really is the correct 2nd picture, I must stop watching the motor racing whilst using the computer!

Give best picture avers and revers

Thanks for the reply John.
    Will take pictures now and post when done.
    Best regards,
    navyman.

Hi Guy, I think the British medals are OK?

But they are copied now.

Cheers, Ade.

Hello John,
    Just finished pics. Will attach now, may be in two lots as I'm not sure how many I can post in one go.
    Cheers,
    navyman.

Hello Ade,
    Have just posted some better pic's. Thanks for your reply, as I look at those two they do seem crisper than the others. Perhaps this is part of the learning curve?
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Hi Guy, the German awards are, with no disrepect intended, pretty poor copies. But if you have not seen originals before, they will fool the novice collector.

Crisp, die struck, well detailed badges and awards are always features to look for. But this alone does not mean original.

Cheers, Ade.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/war_...lass.htm-check this , there is real orders-War Merit Cross,Iron Cross -You will see many different between your picture and orginal.

Sorry,as Ade says German awards are fakes. Brit medals of this type i don't know about. Stewy S