Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Falkland Islands Conflict

Article about: I recently met a fellow who participated in the Falkland Islands campaign in the the early 80s. In respect to him I did some research on the subject for I was only 11 yrs old when it brewed

Default Falkland Islands Conflict

I recently met a fellow who participated in the Falkland Islands campaign in the the early 80s. In respect to him I did some research on the subject for I was only 11 yrs old when it brewed up. Fascinating event in history short lived, but very intense fighting.

It appeared to me that Argentine dictator "Galtieri" invaded the Falklands to bring solidarity to the people, and deflect hatred and unrest away from his regime. It seemed like a ploy due to the fact he placed conscripts on the island as an occupation force. Why would you do that knowing Britain was bound to respond in force to retake the Islands? The peasant with pitchforks philosophy doesn't work against a trained military. The initial invasion only consisted of a small detachment of Royal Marines at Port Stanley, and they were overwhelmed, captured, and deported after a brief encounter. Conscription REALLY! Conscripts pressed into service are pretty much unwilling combatants.

Quote by humble collector View Post
    It appeared to me that Argentine dictator "Galtieri" invaded the Falklands to bring solidarity to the people, and deflect hatred and unrest away from his regime. It seemed like a ploy due to the fact he placed conscripts on the island as an occupation force. Why would you do that knowing Britain was bound to respond in force to retake the Islands? The peasant with pitchforks philosophy doesn't work against a trained military. The initial invasion only consisted of a small detachment of Royal Marines at Port Stanley, and they were overwhelmed, captured, and deported after a brief encounter. Conscription REALLY! Conscripts pressed into service are pretty much unwilling combatants.
    He didn't think we could/would respond, simple as that

I see your point. However, as a "World Power" Britain wasn't going to stand idly by and let a second world dictator ceed territory away with arms. That would be like the USA allowing Cuba to occupy and wrestle away Puerto Rico we wouldn't allow it, and neither would Britain. I think Galtieri knew that.

I too was 11 at the time & can remembering following the events, through the news & the papers, which resulted in us recapturing the Falklands, due to the professionalism & bravery of the men of the Task Force.
    Regards
    Paul

Of course negotiations via the UN and other powers to be were in play. However, once the British task force/ fleet were in position to strike it did without hesitation. Troop positions were straffed on the hills outside of Stanley, and the subsequent sinking of the Argentine ship Belgrano was sunk on May 2nd by the HMS Conquerer negotiations were in a lurch.

The Belgrano was a decommissioned US WW2 Cruiser, and an outdated warship, nonetheless, it still was a status symbol to Argentina.

Quote by humble collector View Post
    Of course negotiations via the UN and other powers to be were in play. However, once the British task force/ fleet were in position to strike it did without hesitation. Troop positions were straffed on the hills outside of Stanley, and the subsequent sinking of the Argentine ship Belgrano was sunk on May 2nd by the HMS Conquerer negotiations were in a lurch.

The Belgrano was a decommissioned US WW2 Cruiser, and an outdated warship, nonetheless, it still was a status symbol to Argentina.
    It was actually a survivor of the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbour

Quote by Pauls1970 View Post
    I too was 11 at the time & can remembering following the events, through the news & the papers, which resulted in us recapturing the Falklands, due to the professionalism & bravery of the men of the Task Force.
    Regards
    Paul
    Living in Britain you probably had a greater coverage of the conflict than we did here in the USA

I believe the Belgrano was struck by 2 torpedos?

The problem with war someone gives you a bloody nose you give one right back. The Argentines struck the HMS Sheffield with one Exocet anti-ship missle. The Sheffield was a state of the art guided missle destroyer went down May 4th.

Basically traded an outdated war museum for a state of the art platform.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast