Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Favourite Military Novel?

Article about: Thanks guys, you've just sorted my holiday reading out!

Default Re: Favourite Military Novel?

Slaughterhouse-Five - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    A strange but brilliant novel!...

Both are complete fiction and the Devils is just pure paranormal fantasy - but a ripping yarn!!!!!

A Flock of Ships puts you right into a WW2 cat & mouse fight and you cant put it down!!

I reckon anyone would love these!

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    A Flock of Ships puts you right into a WW2 cat & mouse fight and you cant put it down!!

Dan
    A great book from what I remember, though it was a long time since I read it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A friend of mine who knew I was interested in miltary matters loaned me a copy of Len Deighton's 'Bomber' for me to read. Having previously read his 'Blood, Tears and Folly - An objective view of WW2' (which I thoroughly recommend) I was rather disapponted to see it was a novel. I'd expected a factual work like the other book. How wrong I was. I could not put the book down.

It was published in 1970 and is a story of a bombing raid that goes wrong written from both the German and the British points of view. 'In each chapter the plot is advanced by seeing the progress of the day through the eyes of the protaganists on both sides of the conflict'. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I do also love 'The Forgotten Soldier' and the very first novel I read as a kid 'All Quiet On The Western Front'.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Both are complete fiction and the Devils is just pure paranormal fantasy - but a ripping yarn!!!!!

I reckon anyone would love these!

Dan
    Yup "The Devils of D Day" is worth a read, "Some local people claimed the tank was cursed. Hadn't they heard eerie voices and wild laughter echoing from within? And didn't an old woman die exactly thirteen days after she'd tried to exorcize the supposed demons?"

?

It's been a while, but I really enjoyed the " Flashman" series by George MacDonald Fraser. VERY entertaining, and good for a few laughs as well.
    For WWI, "The Middle Parts of Fortune" , by Frederick Manning is a harrowing, authentic view of life in the trenches.
    I am in the midst of re-reading " The Caine Mutiny", by Herman Wouk. Rather long, but so well written that you won't notice. It still holds up overtime, IMHO.

BobS

Are the novels of Leo Kessler any good?

?

I read most of Leo Kessler's output in the late 1970s, when I was 12-13 and enjoyed them. However, I then graduated to Sven Hassel and didn't want to re-read any of the Kesslers, as they seemed weak by comparison. I believe 'LK' was teacher in an English private school. I suppose these days I prefer memoirs - read Ernst Junger's Storm of Steel, if you haven't already.

My first post - I've been lurking a while but finally found something which I am slightly qualified to comment on. There are some marvellous threads on here - thank you to all that make them happen.

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    I read most of Leo Kessler's output in the late 1970s, when I was 12-13 and enjoyed them. However, I then graduated to Sven Hassel and didn't want to re-read any of the Kesslers, as they seemed weak by comparison. I believe 'LK' was teacher in an English private school. I suppose these days I prefer memoirs - read Ernst Junger's Storm of Steel, if you haven't already.

My first post - I've been lurking a while but finally found something which I am slightly qualified to comment on. There are some marvellous threads on here - thank you to all that make them happen.
    Welcome to the forum. Storm of Steel is a fantastic book! Certainly worth a read

?

Quote by DrPMC View Post

Welcome i followed the same path as yourself , Kessler then Sven Hassell then onto the more serious stuff !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast