MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Feedback regarding todays militaria prices.

Article about: Rising prices are to be expected in any normal economy. We don't like them, but like them or not, they are reality. Like most of you I try to stay away from dealers, but once in a while the

Default Feedback regarding todays militaria prices.

Im interested to hear what other members think about the constant rising costs of militaria within this hobbie.do you except the trend and just pay,or if your old skool and remember those days when items were readily available for peanuts,how do they feel with regards to keeping pace or do you sit back and just watch,do todays prices sit well with you,especially if you hear or read an item that was picked up dirt cheap?my first luv is m1's but as i constantly keep in touch with what many sellers and ebay have its becoming quite clear that i either up my game and pay out some serious cash or stick to more common younger items which still have history but will probably never give you a return on what you originally paid out,look forward to hearing from all members young and older,short and long term collectors..............

I remember buying German medals and badges at fleamarkets in Germany for 5 marks back in the 80s no more.
    chris

I collect mostly TR items and the one good thing about rising prices is you can consider your collection an investment, i can't see military collectables losing value in the future. It's good news for people who already have a fair sized collection but not so good for newbies.
    My tip for new collectors is start buying up all the NVA and Warsaw pact stuff!..

If I really want it I will pay the price, though if I can haggle I will. If I can wait until I can find it for an old skool price I will do that, a case in point was the WWII RWF printed shoulder titles I bought the other day, they cost more from dealers these days for a single than I paid for 4 of them. Obviously that does not happen all the time, but if I can find it for a sensible price, that is the way to go.

The prices for some items these days is way too much, but if people are wiling to pay those prices, then sellers will continue to ask them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

yes for newbies it's very hard :P

I think its best to know your hobby and trawl through sites, local dealers etc, I have found some cracking deals doing this. So in all do your home work and shop around, it pays dividends

- - ------- - -

Quote by GreekMilitaria View Post
    yes for newbies it's very hard :P
    Yes I agree as these guys are mostly not sure at what they are looking at
    Ben

Well for me Jake, Daggers/swords started to shoot up about three years ago so I had abit of a buying spree to try and save myself more expense later on- well that was the plan anyway.
    As much as I thought I was clever doing so, I have since learnt that as a collector I can never be satisfied with what I have. Even though I had a good spend out, it didn't stop me wanting other things.
    Il probably buy something later in the year, if the right thing comes along at the right price why not ey?
    Cant say the prices are great anymore, but I understand there is a growing interest in the subject so its to be expected.
    all the best matty

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    I think its best to know your hobby and trawl through sites, local dealers etc, I have found some cracking deals doing this. So in all do your home work and shop around, it pays dividends

- - ------- - -

Yes I agree as these guys are mostly not sure at what they are looking at
    Indeed so shop around and there are still bargains to be had, i got a J E Hammer EK2 for £30 from a guy who does house clearances!...

Jake, I have also picked up some nice items just through word of mouth. The 1917 Artillery luger I got from a guy at work who knew someone who was selling one, got it for a excellent price so thats another way of getting militaria, also advertise in your local area in the free ads
    Ben

If there's one thing I've learned in 40 years of militaria collecting it's that knowledge often trumps money...I've scored many a rare piece because I was the only person to recognize what it was...My fluency in German has proven itself a decisive advantage throughout my collecting as well as you can surely imagine...
    I've never been a wealthy man and have no choice but to rely on my knowledge of the subject and of the market...my "nose" so to speak...you just can't buy that.
    I wish all continued good fortune in our shared collecting endeavor!
    cheers, Glenn

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast