Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

The film industry can't get it right.

Article about: by davesap250 If they make All quiet on the Western Front again I hope they do a proper job on it. I see Peter Jackson has put on hold the re-make of the Dambusters. Apparantly it has a \\$30,

Default Re: The film industry can't get it right.

Quote by history-buff1944 View Post
    SPR SHOULD mean: SHAVING Private Ryan. I cant stand that stupid film. Gimme The Longest Day and Breakthrough ( w/ John Agar, Brian David, Frank Lovejoy, William Campbell and Paul Picerni) .over it anytime any day.
    Lol - I call it 'Saving Ryans Privates'........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    lol I think the movie is over creditied, it really was not that great but the general public seems to think its WWII Gospel that was 100% true and accurate.
    Its an ok watch but I prefer other movies

After the beach landing SPR went downhill rapidly. It seemed to me that Tom Hanks didn't really want to be there. The scene where he delivers the lines about the German mines and their 'not wanting to give up those 88s' doesn't even rate as acting to me.

I thought SPR was superb but Tom Hanks was mis cast. Spielberg should have cast another actor, someone relatively unknown

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I always felt that SPR's opening sequence with the Normandy landing is absolutely brilliant, but after that, it becomes just another run-of-the-mill war movie.
    Well made in its technical aspects, expensive and with top-notch production values for sure, but otherwise unremarkable, with a thoroughly unimaginative and clichéd script: Every scene feels as if you've seen it a hundred times before.
    Still beats the hell out of Pearl Harbor, though.

Pearl Harbour is terrible! He just went mad with the slow mo, and pyrotechnics in that film.

SPR does have it's cliches that seem there in every film. I believe though it has set the bench mark for combat scenes. The way it was filmed in that grainy way gave it a feeling of it being period and as if you were there which was unique at that time and has be copied a lot since. I thought Tom did quite a good job but, hey thats why we all have an opinion. There are some other daft bits like the 'sticky bomb' talk.

I did here they were going to re-make the Dambusters, script by Stephen Fry directed by Peter Jackson. I have not seen anything of this though. And on top of that The Lancaster based at East Kirkby is getting the go ahead to become airworthy. Two Lancs together in the same county will be something to look forward to.

Max Manus is a interesting film.

Watched the German made 'Red Baron' today, great stuff!!!

My favourite German actor Til Schweiger is in it too

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I don't know if any of you have heard of it, but I am pretty damn excited for the upcoming remake of 'All Quiet on the Western Front'. It's rumored that Daniel Radcliffe will play Paul Bäumer!

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I do too but, I didnt call it that for fear of being banned :-))

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I don't know if any of you have heard of it, but I am pretty damn excited for the upcoming remake of 'All Quiet on the Western Front'. It's rumored that Daniel Radcliffe will play Paul Bäumer!
    Havent heard of this 2nd remake? but will have an open mind on it if it gets made?

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast