Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

The film industry can't get it right.

Article about: by davesap250 If they make All quiet on the Western Front again I hope they do a proper job on it. I see Peter Jackson has put on hold the re-make of the Dambusters. Apparantly it has a \\$30,

Default Re: The film industry can't get it right.

Anyone got a list of WWII films with good costumes and vehicles?

How about "the keep" - worth watching.

my favorite and funny clip from youtube is alas smith and jones's "nazi generals "it sums up a lot of how the germans were portrayed on screen

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I think the real howler in Cross of iron was U.S. Navy Vought F4U Corsairs bombing the German bunkers, if i were going to be a real nit picker i'd complain about 'em using T 34/85s. Evan with the goofs i still enjoyed the film, oh yeah i hold my hands up to enjoying Iron sky, it's good escapist fun!...
    Only a year too early !! you nitt picker !!

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Only a year too early !! you nitt picker !!
    OK Totenhead i'll let 'em off with that one!.....

?

It's ironic that movies made closer to the war are often the least accurate in terms of equipment, uniforms and potrayal. I often wonder what veterans made of these movies.

It's ironic that as we are not a long time away from the war. The movie makers are more likely to get it right. Wasn't it a case that when they made Saving Private Ryan the producers went looking for 'fixed bale' M1 helmets for the main cast? There even seems to more availability of genuine or lookalike vehicles. The other night I saw a trailer for a BBC programme set around the war and I'm sure I saw two Panzer IIs. Will have to watch the programme to confirm that. It wasn't in the first episode last night.

I did some extra work for TV and movies and you see how it works sometimes. Unless someone has either done the research or is an expert. They often get it wrong. I was getting a costume for something set in 1916. In wardrobe when I arrived they were puzzling over dressing extras as British soldiers. But they really got it wrong with the webbing and I had to show them the correct method.

It doesn't just happen in war movies. I remember being an extra in movie 'Breakfast on Pluto' set in the seventies which despite it's name had nothing to do with breakfast or Pluto. I was handed a costume, ridiculously high cowboy boots, purple flares. A frilly shirt and a sheepskin jacket. I pointed out to the costume person that I was around in the seventies and I wouldn't have been seen dead in anything like that. But hey it's the movies!

I guess you have to suspend belief sometimes. Funnily enough though last night I was watching something and I noticed a soldier wearing his 37 web belt incorrectly. In my time if I wore the belt like that, my NCOs would make some very rude comments to me!

I think probably the worst movie inaccuracy I ever saw was one I don't recall the name of. But they were using Spanish '109s', Buchons as RAF aircraft. Which was bad enough although understandable. But I nearly fell off the chair laughing when the unrealistic dogfight scene using badly made models started. The Luftwaffe were using Spitfires! Unbelievable!

Looking forward to seeing "Zero Dark Thirty"
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by kirederf7 View Post
    Anyone got a list of WWII films with good costumes and vehicles?
    A few spring to mind.
    Band of brothers
    Saving Private Ryan
    Downfall
    Enemy at the gates
    The Beast (of war)

What do you guys think of "The Pacific?" The lesser known little brother of Band of Brothers. I like them both and the best part of them is that my wife enjoys them and actually encourages my collecting. She likes seeing some of the real items she bought me for Christmas in the movies.

Quote by aurelius180 View Post
    What do you guys think of "The Pacific?" The lesser known little brother of Band of Brothers. I like them both and the best part of them is that my wife enjoys them and actually encourages my collecting. She likes seeing some of the real items she bought me for Christmas in the movies.
    I couldn't really get into it, i'll have to watch it again and give it another chance!..

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast