Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

The fovant badges.

Article about: I thought as its Armistice Day I would share the "FOVENT REGIMENTAL BADGES"with you guys.many WRF members may already know of them.or even seen them but if your ever down this way

Default The fovant badges.

I thought as its Armistice Day I would share the "FOVENT REGIMENTAL BADGES"with you guys.many WRF members may already know of them.or even seen them but if your ever down this way please take a look.the land was recquisitioned in 1914 by the ARMY there were 2 camps either side of the now A30.many REGIMENTS were based here for training prior to the western front,including the AUSTRALIAN COMMONWEALTH ARMIES.the chalk badges date from 1916/17 and through the lack of period pictures,its guessed around 20 or so were cut.12 survive today(9 of which are original) the other 3 were added post war 1948-1951,the large AUSTRALIAN MAP was lost to cattle grazing and to repair it would have been fruitless,since early postwar there has been a FOVENT BADGE SOCIETY trying to continuously up keep the BADGES.in 2002/2003 there was a major overall of all 12 badges with a grant from the AUSTRALIAN government,the largest of the badges is the "AUSTRALIAN COMMONWEALTH ARMED FORCES"badge which is some 66 metres by 55 metres,so please enjoy these wonderful and poignant landscaped REGIMENTAL chalk badges of a lost generation,minnie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Default Re: The fovant badges.

My compliments on a very nice thread.

I had heard of these but have never been to see them and maybe I should one of these days. Thanks for bringing this up.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

This is all new to me and very interesting. Thanks for the great photos. Dwight

?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    This is all new to me and very interesting. Thanks for the great photos. Dwight
    +1 - Thanks for sharing.

?

I haven't been here for ages it must be 1990 since I was last here, A lovely area to go walking I must say....Thanks for sharing...Terry.

That's truely excellent Minnie.
    Cheers for posting mate
    Dave