Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FYI....Google Images

Article about: A lot of people searching for info can find it very easily on Google by clicking on "Images" and then typing in what they are searching for,Google is truly your friend,just takes a

?

Default FYI....Google Images

A lot of people searching for info can find it very easily on Google by clicking on "Images" and then typing in what they are searching for,Google is truly your friend,just takes a bit of motivation......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Default Re: FYI....Google Images

It constantly amazes me the questions people ask and if I am not too busy or I am interested in the question I do a google search and there in most cases is the answer. Why they don't do a search before asking is a mystery, though I suppose we have all been guilty of this at one time or another.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I must agree that google images is often my first port of call,one thing that amazes me though is no matter what i search for in images i always seem to find hidden in amongst the relevent stuff a picture of Barrack Obama or some clown burning a national flag!!WHY???

If we all found the info on Google there would be no need for a forum such as this !!

Horrible thought !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Bond View Post
    ...Why they don't do a search before asking is a mystery...
    It probably falls into the same category as to why it comes across that alot of new collectors seem to be happy to spend hundreds of $$$, £££ or Euros on items without actually knowing anything about what they are buying because they don't invest in the research books that are really required to understand an area of interest (and spend time pouring over similar items on forums) and would rather just post an item on a forum hoping others will do the legwork for them. In a word, Laziness.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    It probably falls into the same category as to why it comes across that alot of new collectors seem to be happy to spend hundreds of $$$, £££ or Euros on items without actually knowing anything about what they are buying because they don't invest in the research books that are really required to understand an area of interest (or spend time pouring over similar items on forums) and would rather just post an item on a forum hoping others will do the legwork for them. In a word, Laziness.

I will add my point of view over the last few days as I have asked for some advise. Google is most certainly you friend in 99% of cases and questions. Myself I just picked up 2 sidecaps at a show I attended. Before posting on the forum for opinions I did as much searching as I could and in both cases before I posted I knew the answer but there is a satisfaction gained for hearing the verdict from other experienced collectors you trust. You can search as much as you like and buy as many books but they wont give you an opinion on your item that you have. Yes there are people that you may call lazy for not searching before posting but people also ask because we can give feedback on thier actual item, either good or bad.

Thats the beauty of being part of a large community of diverse collectors. We cant all be experts on every element of militaria but I am certain there is someone here that knows everything there is one the majority of items and can give current and up to date advise.

Cheers
    Jason

You yourself state that you did as much searching as possible and came up with views thanks to those searching but I was referring to those that don't do that, hence why some people wonder why others haven't done even a simple Google search before posting. I'm happy to answer questions or offer opinions when asked as I know that some avenues of research are hard to find or someone just wants a second or third opinion. But there does seem to be a growing trend that people are collecting in areas that they don't research in and while a forum is great for offering help it is of no use whatsoever when you find yourself in circumstances where you are left to your own devices, maybe where time is of the essence in nailing a bargain or at shows.

I like to add "NUDE" at the end of my item search....just to make it a bit more interesting...

I still post items for opinions even if I think I know the answer, and I will have looked in books and searched online before posting. But some items still need a YES from those who know about this stuff, as fakes are getting better all the time. Also, I like to do a bit of show & tell when I post and share my new pickups with those who have a similar interest.

I leave out the nude bit, as I remember a fellow worker was researching some animals bones from an excavation and entered Beaver into the computer and had to explain why!
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

well maybe i'm the odd man out but i think Google is of fairly limited utility and sometimes harmful depending on what one is researching.

the fact is, Google just presents unfiltered, un-peer reviewed material which is some times false, sometimes true. sometimes it's opinion. sometimes it's fact. this leaves the user in the strange position of having to already have some expertise in the subject matter they are researching and having to already have some idea of what the answer they are seeking is likely to be.

as an example, i am often contacted by freaked-out friends who think they have a dire medical condition because they're on Google looking up symptoms and reading material and looking at pictures they do not have the background or experience to filter. what is true? what is not? they also do not realize that pictures of conditions on Google are all MUCH more horrible looking than one normally sees because doctors and medical researchers tend only to photograph extreme cases/poorer patients who sought medical care very late. the result is, a person searching Google who is not already somewhat expert in the topic being researched "learns" falsehoods either by learning material which is patently false or by studying examples which create falsehood by presenting information which is statistically slanted in a way the casual user can not understand.

i mean if i go research RKs on Google, i'm going to get "good" information (links to threads of you fine gentlemen discussing them) and i am going to get pictures of RKs on sale on e-bay and i-offer. if i don't have competence in RKs already? i'm going to think "real" is real and i'm going to think "fake" is real. i'm going to get nowhere.

Google can be very helpful. but one has to know something already about what one is researching. if you don't, you're better off asking here even things which are easily available on Google.

i don't think actually i'm taking a different view here on Google. perhaps just adding to some colour to what Google does which is BOTH educate and confuse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast