Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gas Mask question

Article about: hey guys, i've had 2 gas masks for a while, and i read on the internet that the gas mask cylinders are dangerous. if i was to put the gas masks on display, should i remove the cylinders, and

Default Gas Mask question

hey guys, i've had 2 gas masks for a while, and i read on the internet that the gas mask cylinders are dangerous. if i was to put the gas masks on display, should i remove the cylinders, and put them in the bin?

?

Default Re: Gas Mask question

Quote by carlarganda View Post
    hey guys, i've had 2 gas masks for a while, and i read on the internet that the gas mask cylinders are dangerous. if i was to put the gas masks on display, should i remove the cylinders, and put them in the bin?
    Hi. carlarganda

First thing mate, what nationality are the respirators and roughly how old are they? Are they British, German, US etc?
    Secondly, Are they the type with the canister attached via a hose or the canister attached direct to the mask?

Now to the important bit, (which will sound odd, until you read why):

Respirator canisters, especially older ones, are only dangerous if you actually try to breathe through them.

The older ones, pre-1960s - ish, had asbestos in them as part of the filter material, modern ones donot. (I still have my old British Army S10 Respirator with a canister from about 1988 connected)

If they are only for display, you should be okay, however, what a lot of museums do, is to either seal the canisters with a clear resin/glue compound to minimise the risk of any fibres getting into the atmosphere or removing the filter material altogether, which I would NOT advise unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing, you then also have to dispose of the filter compound.
    One of the other forum members, GASMASKUK, is the guy to speak to for more advise on this one, but the bottom line is, IF THE CANISTER IS NOT DAMAGED, DONOT START MESSING AROUND WITH IT AND DONOT TRY USING IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Hi Carlarganda,
    Very good advice from Ian, and Gasmask U.K, will be the man to ask, and ian, i was going to say every word you put down there, lol, but you beat me to it. Have a good new year,
    dave.

?

@ Dave

Thanks mate.

Hope you had a good one and all the best for the new year.

Ian

You've beat me to it aswell Ian, some really good solid information there

If you're able to get some photographs of the filters I'll hopefully be able to identify them for you. Filters from different era's and countries tend to have different contents as a result of the technology available.

For the time being until you can get photographs you would be best to keep the filters caps attached if it has any. If not stick the filter in a sealed bag, and if the mask is attached to the filter stick the whole thing in a bag

Thanks and happy new year guys

Danny