Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

General social chit chat

Article about: A few pics of my former line of work gents, I also have pics of the countryside if anyone is interested............

Default Re: General social chit chat

All right,thats enough talk about Fosters(god does anyone know anyone here that drinks that cats piss?) and VB,all you Aussie boys know that there is only one beer,and thats XXXX,now THAT tastes like an angel crying on your tongue
    Hey Sandie i used to live in Albany,beautiful place
    Cheers boys, hope you all had a great Christmas Day
    Mick

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    A few pics of my former line of work gents, I also have pics of the countryside if anyone is interested............
    I want a job like that

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

If you want a good beer have a San Miguel.
    I also agree with all the fellas here, never drink a fosters even in desperation lol

Quote by aussie mick View Post
    All right,thats enough talk about Fosters(god does anyone know anyone here that drinks that cats piss?) and VB,all you Aussie boys know that there is only one beer,and thats XXXX,now THAT tastes like an angel crying on your tongue
    Hey Sandie i used to live in Albany,beautiful place
    Cheers boys, hope you all had a great Christmas Day
    Mick
    Albany is nice Mick, a bit cool for me but the coastal scenery and the fishing is great! I used to take the odd tour down that way when one of the other guides were crook or wanted a break etc... I've been in Albany in January when the temp was only 20c! That's not right! Exmouth was my place, I did Perth to Exmouth every second week for eight years. I used to live in Broome too, that a great spot!

this brings back memories of Los Angeles back in the 80s for me.

i used to pay a guy that ran a liquor store down there to get cases of XXXX for me. i don't know how it is these days for sure, but in those days there was no XXXX in the states. but he'd get it. i don't know how but i'd go in there every few weeks and he'd have it for me.

wasn't cheap, but then you only live once.

I agree with Nick. I want a job like that.
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

G'day Dave, sorry I only just got around to this thread .

Last week I camped overnight in my swag on Pelsart Island, in one of the old guano operation buildings. It's technically illegal to do so but I did it anyway. If I was challenged by Fisheries I was prepared to play the race card and claim it as traditional land (and fall back on my status as a fellow public servant kameraden if that didn't work haha) .

The Dutch have a very long connection with the area, and there are potentially many other unknown wrecks on the reefs, such as the VOC Aagtekerke. For a history buff like me it was very satisfying going to sleep knowing there were ancient relics probably only a few hundred metres away from where I was sleeping. Unfortunately I sliced a foot open on some coral so I was hobbling around and couldn't explore as much as I wanted to the next morning.

After we'd cleaned and filleted our haul for the day we drank half a bottle of one of my single malts and enjoyed BBQ'd tuna meat, listerning to the thundering surf, smelling the salt air and watching the sun go down over the boiler of the SS Ben Ledi (wrecked in 1879) in the foreground. Sea birds were wheeling and calling out everywhere and we saw an encounter between a seal and a shark. The place is just like one giant canvas.

To people that haven't heard much about the Abrolhos I strongly recommend you get a hold of Hugh Edwards' book Dead Men's Silver. The Batavia story is full of enough drama to make a blockbuster movie.

The Abrolhos is an amazing place that's for sure!

IMG_8713.jpgIMG_8714.jpgIMG_8715.jpgIMG_8716.jpgIMG_8721.jpgIMG_8722.jpgIMG_8723.jpgIMG_8724.jpgIMG_8725.jpgIMG_8726.jpgIMG_8727.jpgIMG_8728.jpg

I've always said that the Batavia story should be a major movie, it is nothing short of fascinating! I used to tell the story of the Batavia to my tourists while we were traveling along Indian Ocean Drive between Cervantes and Dongara, often it took me all of that time to tell it, I just love that story and my crew were always interested in it.

How'd you hold up today in Gero mate, 44c? Was just shy of 43c here today too, it's like being back in bloody Exmouth!

A sweltering 9c here!....

Gunny, I'd gladly swap with you for a couple of days!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast