Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

German chinstraps, over the lip or to hang free?

Article about: You have to put yourself in the shoes of a German soldier. Would you do it? I suppose if it was practical, it was done. I have seen enough random junk on German soldiers in photos to make me

Default Re: German chinstraps, over the lip or to hang free?

I prefer them up over the visor, I don't agree with the stretching comments as you can simply loosen the buckle a notch. One of my relic lids came with a liner and chinstrap that were heavily shrunken and warped. The chinstrap looked like a shrivelled flatworm so I soaked it in leather conditioner until it was pliable and then installed it over the lip where it of course dried out again and assumed its new position where it will remain until it turns to dust.

Having said that. they look pretty good with the strap hanging too. Maybe i'll mix and match the two methods with further lids.

?

Just a quick update...

I recently bought the remastered DVD set of the "World at War".... And the amount of German soldiers, especially in the Russian campaign you see in footage with their chinstraps over the lip of their helmets, in my mind puts an end to the debate as to wether the Germans did this!!!

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Just a quick update...

I recently bought the remastered DVD set of the "World at War".... And the amount of German soldiers, especially in the Russian campaign you see in footage with their chinstraps over the lip of their helmets, in my mind puts an end to the debate as to wether the Germans did this!!!
    The best WW2 doco series ever made by far.I first saw it way back in the mid 70's as a 8-9 year old kid.I still to this day(some 35 years later) relate the title music to the Holocaust for some reason.
    I picked up the remastered set a few months back for $40 bucks.A bargin really.
    Enjoy mate it's the best by far hey.
    Cheers
    Dave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3