Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

German ww2 militaria as an investment

Article about: Hello to all I want to ask about the investment returns in the ww2 german militaria to all the experts here. Anyone know what's the percentage increase over a period of time on the items? Le

Default German ww2 militaria as an investment

Hello to all

I want to ask about the investment returns in the ww2 german militaria to all the experts here.

Anyone know what's the percentage increase over a period of time on the items? Let's say German badges for example.

Thanks
    Anyone done the study or is there any readable material on the subject?

Thanks

I don't know but it would make an interesting study. But to do properly you would need to split the topic into parts as I suspect not all types of militaria will have increased in value at similar rates. Helmets and SS everything, will have increased at a faster rate than say Kriegsmarine uniforms. But we don't collect for investment, do we?

I think a person just getting into the hobby would be sadly disappointed unless
    they could afford to buy Knight's crosses, SS daggers or helmets. I think that
    the common items are loosing value.

Now if a person started buying everything in the 70's, they could be sitting on
    a good profit.

I've always felt that it was a hobby and not a business. Thinking of it in terms
    of an investment and profit or loss would for me, take all of the fun out of it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks Anderson, yes I'm starting because I'm loving it. Thanks chopperman

With all the good detailed books available on these items you would think someone would've looked into the invest aspect over the past decades.

I will be looking forward show casing my collection soon.

Thanks again

Look after what you have (I don't) do not expect a profit on your expense but you will always get something back - ENJOYMENT. -AND A PILE OF JUNK!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 09-21-2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added text

?

I have never bought an Item that I thought I would sell.
    I have kept everything I have purchased or was given by a Vet.
    Like other have mentioned, I collect because I enjoy it, not for profit.

Semper Fi
    Phil

There are a few posts on here which have prices from the 80's/90's on some militaria but I don't remember the exact ones. It would be interesting to document the price increases over the years, though I'd guess for german ww2 items (especially helmets) it would be a slow increase until the late 90's where it would shoot up and then finally slow down in the 2010s. Also as everyone else said I wouldn't be thinking of this stuff as an investment while some money can be made in "collection hobbies" like this one and TCGs it's almost always better to invest in some sort of security or fund.
    Last edited by Politefaun; 09-21-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    There are a few posts on here which have prices from the 80's/90's on some militaria but I don't remember the exact ones. It would be interesting to document the price increases over the years, though I'd guess for german ww2 items (especially helmets) it would be a slow increase until the late 90's where it would shoot up and then finally slow down in the 2010s. Also as everyone else said I wouldn't be thinking of this stuff as an investment while some money can be made in "collection hobbies" like this one and TCGs its almost always better to invest in some sort of security or fund.
    Good 'Ol Robin Lumsden (member here) wrote this ripper book at the time that has a medal price guide '87-93

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I have never bought an Item that I thought I would sell.
    I have kept everything I have purchased or was given by a Vet.
    Like other have mentioned, I collect because I enjoy it, not for profit.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Good point Phil. Given many of us tend towards hoarders, the prospect of selling to cash in a profit might fall to the next of kin.

?

Dealers mark up Nazi militaria 300% why ? because of supply and demand, they know that their are many collectors that are willing to pay high prices for Nazi items, so we buy it ,then we try to sell it, give you an example I tried to sell a few pieces of my collection , fully authenticated, with paper work. The dealer I bought it from Didn't even want it back, even at a discounted price. Two auction houses gave me very low starting bids. The only way I can think of making a profit is to sell to other collectors, that are willing to pay, or set up your own table at military shows. Good Luck !
    Last edited by kolcat; 10-15-2019 at 10:57 PM.