Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German WW2 Y straps seized at customs

Article about: Hey guys! Australian customs have placed my German Y straps into quarantine because they deem them to be "used horse accessory"! I realise that customs have an important job to do,

Default German WW2 Y straps seized at customs

Hey guys!
    Australian customs have placed my German Y straps into quarantine because they deem them to be "used horse accessory"! I realise that customs have an important job to do, but so frustrating!!!
    Now I have to try to convince them of their actual use before they destroy them.
    Anyone have any tips so I can avoid this in the future? I have imported lots of leather goods in the past (belts, ammo pouches) and its never been a problem

Thanks

Mark

Default Re: German WW2 Y straps seized at customs

wow that is terrible - i hope you get it sorted out asap.

That's interesting Mark. I have brought in many old leather pieces in the past with no problems.
    I think this one may be a "one off". Some new starter playing god.
    Ask the seller to lable your leather goods "Antique Uniform" or similar so there is not any confusion when it gets to customs.

All the best with it.
    Dave

Sorry mate forgot to add e-mail customs an image of a pair being worn in period. That should clear up any confusion at customs end.

Cheers guys!
    I finally got in contact with customs and they agreed to review the item. I think I have convinced them of their actual use. Fingers crossed I should receive the item next week. I will wait and see

Mark

sorry to hear your dilemma mark ,very frustrating for you ,australia does seem to have very strict import rules ,hope it arrives soon ,james

Hi,
    I have a couple of collector friends in Australia who get items from me regularly and I have never had a problem. I recently sent a German horse saddle to Australia and I believe my friend informed the Customs people it was coming and it was duly dealt with and he got it without too much of a problem so your Y straps do sound over the top. Maybe next time you import something run it by your local customs office first, maybe show them a photo of what your getting and explain what it is. Forearmed is forewarned as you say..... if they know its coming then they are not surprised when it gets there and you have alerted them and therefore they may take the view your helping them etc. It hopefully the last such problem you have.
    D.

They probably wouldn't necessarily destroy them straight off the bat but they may want to charge you for a chemical and/or irradiation 'treatment' in order to release them.

One life used, eight more to go
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

They were actually quite good about it when I called them up and explained the item. They apologised and said they would post it out to me today! fingers crossed...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast