MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Great Britain and its invasions

Article about: Not sure these stats are totally accurate, but you have to admire our former propensity for invading most of the rest of the world. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9...uxembourg.html http

Default Great Britain and its invasions

Not sure these stats are totally accurate, but you have to admire our former propensity for invading most of the rest of the world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9...uxembourg.html

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/globa...s-earth/58680/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry B; 11-06-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Great Britain and its invasions

LOL, brilliant, I might get this book. The difference in tone of the US article is amusing. Everything is a competition

great articles

Our American cousins do seem a bit put out don't they

I honestly never knew British troops had occupied Iceland, i thought i knew quite a bit about WW2!!!..

Wow, even Finland is on the list (Yay, someone knows we exist!). This was really interesting.

Please keep in mind that not all those listed were invaded, rather British troops were sent to help those countries, Honest.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

This one episode of Top Gear comes to my mind where the guys were in India with their british cars, when Jeremy Clarkson yells out of the window of his car "Britain's back! I mean here!"

That map didn't get largely coloured pink on its own-the Empire on which the sun never sets...

I saw a documentary recently about wildlife in Iceland and it contained a little feature about the romance between an Icelandic woman and a British soldier. I think they may have had a child together but he was withdrawn to fight elsewhere and was killed. They still had some wartime vehicles there that had been donated by Britain and were still in use today.

Here's a bit of info on the invasion of Iceland by the British courtesy of Wikipedia. After the British ceded the running of Iceland to the U.S.A. they did indeed leave various vehicles behind like motorcycles and trucks that were put to good use by the authorities as for example the country's Fire Service and Post Office departments. The Americans also left transport when they left after the war, including General's staff cars, that are still running around today.

QUOTE:

Iceland, an independent sovereign nation ruled by the King of Denmark, joined Denmark in the pursuit of neutrality when the European War began. Upon the German invasion of Denmark in Apr 1940, Icelandic parliament declared King Christian X unable to perform his constitutional duties, and began to act in a more independent manner, though it remained neutral. On 9 May 1940, the United Kingdom issued a message to Iceland stating her willingness to defend Iceland (Iceland had no military force of her own) if Iceland would allow British forces to establish presence there. The United Kingdom intended to use Iceland to establish a base in the North Atlantic as well as to prevent a German invasion and occupation. The Icelandic government rejected the offer, noting her wish to remain neutral in the conflict. What the Icelandic parliament did not know, however, was that the United Kingdom had been planning an invasion under the code name of Operation Fork since late Apr or early May.

At 0400 on 8 May, under the command of 49-year-old Colonel Robert Sturges, a highly regarded WW1 veteran, 746 men of the inexperienced 2nd Royal Marine Battalion departed Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. Also with the invasion force was a small intelligence team headed by Major Humphrey Quill and a diplomatic mission headed by Charles Howard Smith. In the morning of 10 May, a Walrus aircraft was dispatched to scout the waters leading up to Reykjavík, the capital of Iceland, for German submarine activity, but miscommunications led to the aircraft circling the actual city several times, thus alerting Icelandic officials the presence of the British force. The acting police chief Einar Arnalds recognized it as a British aircraft, but advised Prime Minister Hermann Jónasson it was probably only a British warship en route on a diplomatic mission. The German consul to Iceland Werner Gerlach was more cautious, who began burning his documents after seeing British warships arrive at the Reykjavík harbor.

As Icelandic officials prepared warning statements for the British fleet announcing their violation of Icelandic neutrality, heavy cruiser HMS Berwick transferred 400 marines to the destroyer Fearless, which took them to Reykjavík. The invasion was not met with resistance from the 70-strong Reykjavík police force, though a large crowd gathered at the harbor to protest. The British marines moved to occupy telecommunications facilities, television and radio stations, and meteorological offices, while the local German population (including Consul Gerlach and crew of German freighter Bahia Blanca) were placed under arrest, all in the attempt to delay the news of the invasion from reaching Germany.

In the evening of 10 May, the Icelandic government formally issued a statement noting that their neutrality had been "flagrantly violated" and "its independence infringed". The British government appeased the protest by promising compensation, trade agreement, non-interference in domestic Icelandic affairs, and the promise that troops would be withdrawn at war's end.

While the British marines secured Reykjavík, a small detachment was sent to nearby Hvalfjörður (a fjord), Sandskeið, and Kaldaðarnes. On 15 May, the harbor town of Hafnarfjörður was occupied. On 17 and 19 May, men were sent by ship to land at Akureyri and Melgerði, respectively, in the Eyjafjörður (a fjord) on the northern coast to guard against potential German landings. In the following few weeks, anti-aircraft weapons were deployed in Reykjavík to deter potential German air raids.

When the news of the invasion finally reached Germany, a discussion dubbed Operation Ikarus began to examine the possibility of counter-action, but none came to fruition. In Jul 1941, the responsibility of the occupation was passed to the United States, which sent 40,000 soldiers to guard the island with a population of merely 120,000. Although Iceland still officially maintained neutrality, she actually cooperated with Allied authorities throughout the war.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast