Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Great Grandpas war items

Article about: I need info on some items my great grandfather sent home from the war; like value,background,age etc........ look at pics and tell me ones a big knife some nazi awards and a hat and helmet

JamesMcBear
    ?

Question Great Grandpas war items

I need info on some items my great grandfather sent home from the war; like value,background,age etc........ look at pics and tell me ones a big knife some nazi awards and a hat and helmet
    Attached Images Attached Images

JamesMcBear
    ?

Default Re: Great Grandpas war items

??????????????????

Interesting lot there, James. M1 Helmet, need more photos inside with different angled shots of outside as well, and if you can take out the liner and do detailed photos of it in same manner. Looks like a painted or decaled officer insignia on the front.

Th pistol is nice P38 standard German officer issue. Again, try to get shots of the markings and stamps. Try to get your shots not using flash, daylight is preferablñe to avoid reflection.

I'm not sure about the women's organization pin, there are lots of experts here who wil set you straight on that one. Again, photos of markings on the back of this one will help as well as the pin or attaching mechanism.

MP38 magazine? I think.

Forgot the visor cap. Need more photos from all angles as well.

Nice K98 dress bayonet. Photographh the marings and details please.

Luftwaffe pilot's badge looks nice from here, but also need detailed photos of back.

SS pin I defer to the experts as well.

Can't tell anything about the ammo can from the picture other than it apears rusty and there appears to be a watermark on the photo. Is this a photo you took?

The pemmican can is a nice bit of history. Don't open and eat anything!!

Not trying to be a hardnose, but if you want good feedback and maybe some estimate of current collector value, we need lots of visual reference to judge the items .

Do you have any background as to what unit/s your grandfather served in and when and where? What rank and specialty he was? A photo of him in uniform perhaps? All these little clues help piece together a nice history and fill in blanks for us military history buffs.

Thanks,

George

The magazine is a post war Vigneron copy of the MP38/40 mag. Note the stampings.

All the German awards and badges are fake sorry.

Cheers, Ade.

Unhappy Re: Great Grandpas war items

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The magazine is a post war Vigneron copy of the MP38/40 mag. Note the stampings.

All the German awards and badges are fake sorry.

Cheers, Ade.

There you go. Thanks Ade, this is why I don't even go near that sort of thing. I could not tell, but everything looked off to me as well.

Any thoughts on the P38, helmet and the visor cap? Why does the photo of the ammo can look like it was taken off a website?

Hi George, I think several of these pics are taken from websites Different backgrounds to pics is always something odd when items are claimed to be from the same persons collection...........

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi George, I think several of these pics are taken from websites Different backgrounds to pics is always something odd when items are claimed to be from the same persons collection...........

Cheers, Ade.
    First think I thought when I looked at the pics, too many backgrounds.

Jerry

Quote by vonbond View Post
    First think I thought when I looked at the pics, too many backgrounds.

Jerry
    Yes, reminded me of another thread where a guy is selling 84 year old "Arthur's" bringback helmet. Why go to the trouble to try and fool the experts? Even I was wary and I am a complete fool for fakes.

Nothing happening here. Moving along.

Something is clearly strange here, some of the photo's have completely different back grounds, all the photo's are different sizes and some have computer edited back grounds. Even the one of the ammo box has what looks like a watermark running horizontal over the picture whats this guy trying to pull?

Thanks

Danny

I am closing this thread and banning the person concerned as he has not replied with any explanation. I don't appreciate time wasters.

Cheers, Ade.