Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Great uncles pigsticker!

Article about: Hello all, I'm a little bit down this evening I'm afraid!! My great uncle Joe - who is a D-Day veteran, and former Sherman tank gunner - recently told me that he'd buried his WW2 pigsticker

Default Great uncles pigsticker!

Hello all,

I'm a little bit down this evening I'm afraid!!

My great uncle Joe - who is a D-Day veteran, and former Sherman tank gunner - recently told me that he'd buried his WW2 pigsticker in the garden at his old house!! I was gobsmacked!! It turns out that during the annual police weapons amnesty a few years ago, he panicked and buried the pigsticker thinking that he could get into trouble if the police knew he had it!!!

Anyway, a few months later the council completely paved his garden, and not long after he moved out!

After a few conversations with Joe, I decided to call in on the current occupant of his old house. He seemed a nice chap, and after explaining what had happened, he agreed to let me lift one of the 3x2 paving slabs, and search for Joe's pigsticker!

Today I went there armed with a few chisels, and a lump hammer! I also took a nice bottle of Brandy for the guy. After smashing through the slab, and nearly putting the spade through some cables, guess what I found.......... Nothing!!!

Sadly, I suspect one of the workmen who laid the slabs may have found the bayonet. On the other hand, Joe may have simply given me the wrong location!

Anyway, I come away empty handed, but the guy has invited me back for another look once the winter months arrive. It could be buried underneath the small area of flower beds on the opposite side of the garden.

The hunt continues!

iron cross
    ?

Default Re: Great uncles pigsticker!

Thats exciting and good luck with your search. You are also lucky that the home owners are so nice. Hope you find it.

Hi Woody
    Forgive my ignorance but what is a Pigsticker?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

wolfspear a pigsticker is a bayonet also woody mate keep us posted with the hunt wouldnt a metal detector help mate just a thought?

Quote by ES View Post
    wolfspear a pigsticker is a bayonet also woody mate keep us posted with the hunt wouldnt a metal detector help mate just a thought?
    Cheers Ewan, always learning!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Cheers Ewan,

I've got a metal detector, but the problem is most if the garden has been paved over! I'll get there though mate!

Nick, here's a pig sticker mate. It's a British spike bayonet

http://www.saracenexports.co.uk/thum...pg&w=140&h=140

Quote by WoodyUK View Post
    Cheers Ewan,

I've got a metal detector, but the problem is most if the garden has been paved over! I'll get there though mate!

Nick, here's a pig sticker mate. It's a British spike bayonet

http://www.saracenexports.co.uk/thum...pg&w=140&h=140
    Cheers Woody, its a great name for such a weapon!

Nick

Always sad to learn that "family stuff" is lost...
    I know what you feel, fifteen years after WWII, my grandfather buried two pistols taken from the surrending german troops in Tunisia (P.08 & P.38) and moved to another country soon after.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    Cheers Woody, its a great name for such a weapon!

Nick
    Another bit of interesting info in case you didn't know.

Spike bayonets were banned by Geneva after the war! Reason being is, when the victim was speared, and the attacker withdrew his bayonet, the suction closed the wound, and the victim would take hours to die in horrorendous pain!

That's why modern bayonets, and some WW2 bayonets (such as the k98 bayonet) have a groove either side of the blade. This make it easier to pull out of the human body, but also it leaves an open wound!

Nice eh!

Woody, good luck in your quest. I am hopingfor you that it is still there in that backyard.

Ty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast