Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grenade blast in the State of Delaware

Article about: Hello Gents.. I am Hopeful that Member Helmetone can comment more on this,, but just saw on the news here that a daughter of a War vet was cleaning out his stuff and a guy wanted the content

Default Grenade blast in the State of Delaware

Hello Gents.. I am Hopeful that Member Helmetone can comment more on this,, but just saw on the news here that a daughter of a War vet was cleaning out his stuff and a guy wanted the contents inside of of the boxes she was throwing out. It was a grenade that was still active and it went OFF!! The Guy who wanted the memorabilia is in critical but stable condition,,but no news how extensive his injuries are.
    stuff like this always rattles me and after reading the idiot thread of the 2 guys walking down a street with artillery shells on their shoulders,,makes me cringe...that this stuff must be handled carefully. When it comes to ordnance...it should never be taken for granted as old and inert. Be careful anyne on this forum and who is reading this that after many years..this stuff is still live! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Default Re: Grenade blast in the State of Delaware

Yikes Larry, couldn't agree more. Hope the guy is alright.

The vet probably smuggled it home thinking it would be useful to get rid of tree stumps or something.....

The last thing I would do with a grenade is pull the pin !
    You have to wonder why the guy didn't unscrew
    the fuse first.........? !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

This stuff is actually more live than ever Larry. Explosives and detonator compounds get unstable over the years, or can get unstable. The Amonium Nitrate based explosives are normally considered "safety" explosives(translated from Danish) but they can get quite sensitive with age. It's worse with the detonator compounds. Some of the older ones are mercury based and they are unstable even when new.

I have fiddled with these compounds, both from WW1 and 2 in the Royal Danish Engineer as i have stated in a few of these kinds of threads. I guess this guy did not read my comments. In more than 90% of the "cases", the items(UXO) are safe to handle but you never know. I will guess in this case, him still being alive, it could be the detonator was not removed, but the charge was. It's quite often the case with old DEAC ordnance. As any weapon you should always treat "DEAC's" as live.

Regards, Lars

Thanks for posting larry this is very important !! it seems to be a pattern a lot of issues with explosives have went on and i must agree with Lars as the chemical compounds and explosive material breaks down over the years they are more likely to go off even sometimes by themselves !!! to all who go through old vets stuff be very careful sometimes they brought home live ordnance and it can be very very dangerous !!

?

Yes it's quite important to pay attention to these matter. Again! Often the charges have been removed but not the detonator charge, fuses etc. Nobody in their right mind really likes fumbling with or trying to deactivate a detonator. What i mean is that if a detonator device looks intact, it easily could be! Of course there exist detonators for educational purposes looking intact but being empty.

Regards, Lars

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Not the 'classic' grenade I was imagining. Still, a lot more
    care should have been taken.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

AIF
    ?

The article should read man injured during act of stupidity, how dumb can you be? ...Hmmm let me throw this live 40mm grenade at a garbage can. Even the dumbest of the dumb would be able to tell if a 40mm is live...

I'm just glad the poor old lady wasn't harmed.

?

So it was a 40mm!!!!!Several of them!HMMMMM
    Maybe her husband snuck a Thumper(M79) home from the war!!!!!
    Yeah I bet the Alphabet Boys are all over that house now!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast