Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Guns in the U.K.

Article about: Hi Ian, We will make up a section soon lol Engineers are always welcome mate Dave.

Default Guns in the U.K.

I would like to start this discussion regarding legally held firearms held on certificate in the UK. I would like to hear from others, like me, who have legally held firearms and use them the way they were intended particularly vintage and veteran military rifles and pistols.

I have been a member of this forum for a year now and the depth of knowledge and enthusiasm for the subject is very impressive, it is a friendly place to be part of and the members willingness to share their knowledge is of great benefit to us all.

I must confess to being a little frustrated however by the impression given by some posts that the UK is a place where firearms of any description are forbidden and that acquisition of them is still punishable by incarceration in the Tower of London, posts of de-activated firearms are often accompanied by statements such as ‘this is all we are allowed’ or ‘its that or nothing

Disclaimer and clarification statement follows

Now whilst I appreciate absolutely that the collecting of de-activated firearms are a legitimate collecting field and a source of enjoyment for many………….

End of statement……..

…it saddens me that we may be giving many outside the UK that it is a country that actively and enthusiastically seeks out historic firearms with the intention of either destroying them forever by melting them down or by butchering them by the de-activation route to make them display pieces, it makes us appear to be a country that has no regard for our contribution to military firearms and places no value on the preservation and study of our heritage.……….nothing could be further from the truth………it is a fact that we have some of the tightest firearms legislation in Europe…….it is also a fact that we have some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable people, clubs and organisations determined to keep shooting sports alive and responsible firearms ownership, if not a right, then at least a very hard won privilege which we are determined to hold on to.

Shooting is not a sport that appeals to everyone but if you are a collector of de-activated firearms and you perhaps have ever wondered what it might be like to handle the ‘real thing’ then give a thought to contacting your local shooting club and find out a bit more, do please post your de-activated examples for all to see but please, please, please if you could in the meantime please try not to give the impression that……….. ‘this is all we are allowed............because it most certainly is not.........then I for one will cease to cry into my beer whenever I see photos of your hacked up Luger posted for the world to see.........

(oops...controversial bit at the end there....and I was trying so hard to be diplomatic too......)

?

Interesting information.

Very interesting.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

Uhhh, loads of firearms were in fact destroyed or owners not given a fraction of their true value because of a knee jerk reflex accomplishing next to nothing.
    The firearm hobby situation is in NO way comparable to the situation before the ban even though some may be complacent and settle for what the confines of the current law allows them. I assume many more have turned their back on the hobby altogether in disgust.
    I see no mitigating circumstances.
    Thats of course purely my opinion YMMV.
    How ever, that is neither here nor there and this will only end in tears..........or abound with political comments, which pretty much amounts to the same thing, as this is a relics forum and not a venue for letting out political steam. This post is already rife with political over-and undertones (if one is a gun nut, how can it not be), so for what its worth, Im out.
    Last edited by Scout; 04-11-2014 at 06:31 PM.

.....gun not.................thats just plain hurtfull........

?

LOL, actually the term 'gun not' was coined after the ban, in order to adequately describe the firearms situation in the UK

(You practically walked into that one)

ahhh......you cheated.....you edited your post after my reply..........anyway nice to see you are back in.....

?

Correcting a spelling error in order to make the post make more sense (if any) is not cheating. Especially as my post stands exactly as before, apart from one (1) letter having been corrected.
    Anyway, the error is painfully clear to anybody with an IQ with a higher number than their shoe size, LOL.
    BTW Im not back in......, oh 'shoot,' I am!
    Im leaving again and slamming the door on this thread this time

My rifles.jpgHi
    A lot of members on here have in the past owned rifles, shotguns and pistols until the ban came in we were all happy to go blast something and spend our hard earned cash on rounds ect. Ok we cant own handguns anymore but we can still own and fire full bore rifles including ex military ones, there are a good few clubs down here in cornwall that have full bore ranges. I gave up my firearms / shotgun certs yrs ago but still collect military deac weapons and enjoy doing so but on some occations still go and have fun shooting the old Lee Enfield on the range with friends. so it,s not all doom and gloom in Britian we still have some rights lol.
    Dave.

- - ------- - -

Hi,
    here ae some but not all of my toys.
    dave.

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    My rifles.jpgHi
    A lot of members on here have in the past owned rifles, shotguns and pistols until the ban came in we were all happy to go blast something and spend our hard earned cash on rounds ect. Ok we cant own handguns anymore but we can still own and fire full bore rifles including ex military ones, there are a good few clubs down here in cornwall that have full bore ranges. I gave up my firearms / shotgun certs yrs ago but still collect military deac weapons and enjoy doing so but on some occations still go and have fun shooting the old Lee Enfield on the range with friends. so it,s not all doom and gloom in Britian we still have some rights lol.
    Dave.

- - ------- - -

Hi,
    here ae some but not all of my toys.
    dave.
    Thanks Dave, nice collection of classic collectable firearms and the sort of contribution I was hoping for, great display.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast