Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hands-On WWII Lesson #2

Article about: Hello, all! The time of the year is finally here! My class still has a little bit to go until we reach our World War II unit, but another teacher will be starting his WWII unit shortly (he h

?

Default Re: Hands-On WWII Lesson #2

If they're interested in history get them to join the forum to research and look at the fine examples of history posted here. There are many old hands here with a story to tell! (Names witheld for the sake of diplomacy! )
    Besides the wonderful items held by members in collections around the world there are great photo stories of different historical sites.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    If they're interested in history get them to join the forum to research and look at the fine examples of history posted here. There are many old hands here with a story to tell! (Names witheld for the sake of diplomacy! )
    Besides the wonderful items held by members in collections around the world there are great photo stories of different historical sites.
    Thanks for the reply, Adrian! I few were interested, and asked where they could get things to start a collection. I couldn't go into much detail, but I told them to first inquire about family members who served! Of course I mentioned our lovely forum!

I should mention that I spoke to about 15 special ed students (only 3 were brave enough to pose for the pic). I spoke to them about the homefront... how people their age were working in factories, or joining the service. I really hit on the fact that things were rationed back then and I passed around some war ration books. I also mentioned that especially immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Americans feared a Japanese attack on the mainland U.S. They were shocked when I passed around a civilian gasmask that belonged to a little old lady that lived down the road from our high school!

I then went on to speak about the pieces of American, British, and Russian kit that I brought in.

Finally, student started asking me about the German and Japanese items that I brought in. I asked the students about their last vacation, and asked if they came home with souvenirs. I explained that soldiers during WWII were very young and wanted to return from probably the biggest adventure of their lives with souvenirs...

I did my best to explain what each medal and badge represented. I related them to "Achievements" or "Trophys" that they win when they play XBox and PlayStation...

Finally, I should mention that most of the items pictured were donated to me. The Japanese helmet was given to me by the son-in-law of Navy Coxwain and Iwo Jima vet George Ritz. The 40mm shell was loaned to me by Pill Porter, whose father served with the Navy on the Phillippines. The US M1 helmet was loaned to me by the son of Stanley Still, who was a member of the 139th SeaBees on Okinawa. The spoon and piece of rock (spoon from a concentration camp, rock piece of marble chipped off of Hitler's fireplace in the Eagles Nest?) were loaned to me by the daughter and son-in-law of Pvt. Don Lane, a member of the 14th Armored Division.

Finally, the War Merit cross in my medal display case (being held by Mr. Hushion) was won by me in the holiday raffle that we had this past Christmas. Thanks, Bond and Ade!

I am so pleased that the medal went to a good home and is being used to educate the next generation on how it was for our fathers and grandfathers during those dark times. It sound like you are doing a great job and are managing to engage young people in how it was and the impact it had on the home front as well as for those who served in the front line. Excellent work, well done.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks, Jerry! Round two will be in about 2 weeks or so. The students in the next group of classes are considered regents level or higher, so there should be a lot more discussion on their part. The class I worked with yesterday was interested and asking questions, but they seemed more shocked by the exotica of it all.

I can't tell you how many times I got asked to relate the stuff I brought in Modern Warfare videogame.

Also, sorry for my informal attire! I literally had to jump onto a bus 5mins after that picture was snapped for a track & field meet!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12